Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iscorpio Posts: 124, Reputation: 17

Apr 13, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Is Friday the 13th as unlucky as it is reputed to be?
    Not sure if this is under the correct heading lol Today is Friday the 13th, here in the UK it is reputed to be an unlucky day for some, first of all has anyone had a unlucky day today or on a Friday the 13th in the past and if they have, what happened? Secondly are there similar days in other countries that mean the same? Take care, Love and Peace Anne x
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Paraskevidekatriaphobics are people afflicted with a great fear of Friday the 13th. Friday the 13th is an unlucky day in much of Western Europe, North America, and Australia. Floors in tall buildings often skip from 12 to 14. According to one psychologist there are roughly 21 million people in america alone who worry over this date. That means eight percent of Americans are still in the grips of a very old superstition.

I thought the origin came from this point in history: On Friday, October 13, 1307, King Philip IV of France ordered the arrests of Jaques de Molay, Grand Master of the Knights Templars and sixty of his senior knights in Paris. Thousands of others were arrested elsewhere in the country. Almost all were executed and sympathizers of the Templars condemned Friday the 13th as an evil day.

As for myself, personally, I don't let it phase me... but I'm not really all that supersticious.

Apr 13, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    Paraskevidekatriaphobics are people afflicted with a great fear of Friday the 13th. Friday the 13th is an unlucky day in much of Western Europe, North America, and Australia. Floors in tall buildings often skip from 12 to 14. According to one psychologist there are roughly 21 million people in america alone who worry over this date. That means eight percent of Americans are still in the grips of a very old superstition.

I thought the origin came from this point in history: On Friday, October 13, 1307, King Philip IV of France ordered the arrests of Jaques de Molay, Grand Master of the Knights Templars and sixty of his senior knights in Paris. Thousands of others were arrested elsewhere in the country. almost all were executed and sympathizers of the Templars condemned Friday the 13th as an evil day.

As for myself, personally, I dont let it phase me...but im not really all that supersticious.
    thank you for your quick response, gosh that is a big word, I have never heard it before, I personally am not phased by it either but I know lots of people are, I thought it would be interesting to see how many people it affects, take care, love and peace anne x
    swirlgirl Posts: 74, Reputation: 14

Apr 13, 2007, 10:56 PM
    It's Friday the 13th on April right now... the day has been fine for me!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2007, 11:14 PM
    My wife was acting like it was a full moon. Other then that, nothing out of the ordinary.

Joe
    Phoenix333 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 02:27 PM
    Agreed that the day is based upon the execution of the Grand Master of the Knights Templar on Friday the 13th.

He cursed the Pope... Said he would die within the year and of course the pope was poisoned... really not surprising given the politics and power involved.

Perhaps it became so synonymous with a dark day because :

The Templars were demonized as devil worshipers (Since they were the only power that rivaled the Catholic Church and to get all their property/money/eradicate their influence... they had to be completely and totally evil.).

2. More likely... the destruction of that branch of the faith was viewed as a horrible day by those who supported them. So the day is forever seen as one of ill omen.

Of course over time the reason for "WHY" this is an unlucky day is pretty much a non-issue. It is lost in a general superstition.

Apr 17, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Sorry have been unable to get online, thank you all for responding to my question, the history is quite interesting, I did not realise that it had anything to do with it religion at all, I suppose when you hear of all these unlucky people, it is because maybe is in their mind that bad things will happen so in trying to avoid it they cause it, I do not know but you often hear of people that refuse to go out on this day. Take care, love and peace anne x
    Fresh Prince of New York Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 03:51 PM
    I don't know about you but on the last Friday the 13th I had a very unlucky day. First, I tripped in the middle of the street, while the light was green, if I hadn't moved quickly I would be dead. Finally, my friend moved very far away, and I never saw him again.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Dude, this is from April... its August now.
    blackblue Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Jul 13, 2008, 04:14 PM
    I don't believe in luck but so far, I've never has a "unlucky" day on any Friday 13.
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Jul 22, 2008, 01:12 PM
    I met my wife on Friday the 13th and it was also a full moon (I threw a party at my house to celebrate the occasion--you do weird stuff when you're in high school). We've been together 21 years and have 2 healthy, fairly well-adjusted teenage children. Go figure.
    irene94 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2008, 01:15 PM

Luck dose not exist only god dose
    MatErikijevich Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 08:09 PM

It is
    Do not step on a crack
    Do not spill salt
    Do not break a mirror
    AND STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM BLACK CATS

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Told you its Friday! [ 5 Answers ]

I, the Penis, hereby request a raise in salary for the following Reasons: 1-------- I do physical labor. 2.------- I work at great depths. 3.------- I plunge head first into everything I do. 4.------- I do not get weekends or public holidays off.

Thank God Its Friday! [ 1 Answers ]

The Problem With Fast Food The big problem with "fast" food is that it slows down when it hits your stomach. And it just parks there--and lets the fat have time to get off and apply for citizenship. Custom Software

Just so you know its FRIDAY. [ 3 Answers ]

A Good Pun is Its Own Reword - A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking. - Dijon vu - the same mustard as before. - Shotgun wedding: A case of wife or death. - A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

NO, its not Friday.yet! [ 5 Answers ]

What It Means Five year old Becky answered the door when the Census taker came by. She told the Census taker that her daddy was a doctor and wasn't home, because he was performing an appendectomy. "My," said the census taker, "that sure is a big word for such a little girl. Do you know...

View more questions Search