Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deezerdoo Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Apr 13, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Journal Entry/expenses/cash account
    July 1 Bills are sent to clients for services provided in June in the amount of $800.
    July 8 First Bank loans the company $2,500. The company will pay back the loan in Aug.
    July 9 Office Supply Corp. delivers furniture ($1,060) and expendable office supplies ($160), leaving an invoice for $1,220.
    July 15 Payment is made to Office Supply Corp. for the furniture and office supplies delivered on July 9.
    July 23 A $430 bill for electricity for the month of June is received and will be paid on its due date in August.
    July 31 Salaries are paid to employees in the amount of $850.

1. The journal entry to record the July 9 transaction will include a credit of 1,220 to?
    I say Accounts Payable

2. What is total amount of expenses that should appear on July's income statement?
    I say $850

3. Assuming a beginning cas balance of $4,300, what is the balance in the Cas account at July31?
    I say $4,730.

How did I do? Thanks for your help. Just looking for confirmation of my answers if I'm wrong could you please explain.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 10:03 PM
    1) Correct

Apr 16, 2007, 03:26 AM
    Thanks for the help. I'm assuming I'm wrong on the other two.
    goldenbutterfly Posts: 63, Reputation: 8

Apr 16, 2007, 06:09 AM
    2. Since office supplies are expendable, it has to be expensed as well.

3. correct.

Apr 16, 2007, 06:31 AM
    on # to the only choices I have are.

A. $430
    B. $850
    C. $1280
    D. $1,440

If I use the $850 salary and the office supplies $160 that = $1010 if I add the $430 for the electric bill that totals $1,440 but that bill won't be paid until Aug so would that be right 1,440?
    goldenbutterfly Posts: 63, Reputation: 8

Apr 16, 2007, 06:37 AM
    If those are the choices, then you are correct. $430 electricity should have been recorded as June expense while office supplies will be expensed when consumed.
    jn_srish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deezerdoo
    July 1 Bills are sent to clients for services provided in June in the amount of $800.
    July 8 First Bank loans the company $2,500. The company will pay back the loan in Aug.
    July 9 Office Supply Corp. delivers furniture ($1,060) and expendable office supplies ($160), leaving an invoice for $1,220.
    July 15 Payment is made to Office Supply Corp. for the furniture and office supplies delivered on July 9.
    July 23 A $430 bill for electricity for the month of June is received and will be paid on its due date in August.
    July 31 Salaries are paid to employees in the amount of $850.

1. The journal entry to record the July 9 transaction will include a credit of 1,220 to?
    I say Accounts Payable

2. What is total amount of expenses that should appear on July's income statement?
    I say $850

3. Assuming a beginning cas balance of $4,300, what is the balance in the Cas account at July31?
    I say $4,730.

How did I do? thanks for your help. Just looking for confirmation of my answers if I'm wrong could you please explain.
    Mk

Apr 16, 2007, 08:26 AM
    Thanks for all your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Journal versus Cash Payment Journal [ 2 Answers ]

I have an ethical issue case I'm working on, but am stuck. I would like to know how would I determine which journal to use say for example, you go on a business trip to Australia and take your spouse along at company expense. Well that is unethical for sure, but you are best friends with the vice...

Journal entry [ 1 Answers ]

How do I record this entry: Receipt for services performed to date and not previously billed: $7000

Journal Entry [ 1 Answers ]

issued a check to a person in the amount of $240 for 25 shares of $10 par value common stock. The stock will be held as treasury stock. What is the journal entry?

Entry For Prepaids/ Expenses In Quickbooks [ 1 Answers ]

I need some elementary accounting help! I will try to explain the best I can, but if you need more info, please let me know. 1. Health Insurance. Company pays a portion, EE's pay a portion. When the bill comes in, it is for the following month, making it a prepaid expense. (Right?) Total bill...

View more questions Search