Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Honduras Bob Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Wiring outlets, and grounding
    I just read where one of you told someone, the black wire goes on the screw with the longer opening and white opposite, Ie, Then I saw this following statement from an electrician

All white wires are connected to the side with a silvery color and the black wires to the brassy terminals.

I just installed about 20 outlets, and the black wire is on the brass looking screw, on the side with the shorter opening, and the white is on the silvery looking screw, and that side has the longer opening, and is on the same side with the green grounding lug.. Have I bought a bunch of reversed lemons, or mis read something,

Also In my USA house, when I had one, the green ground was tied to the neutral at the main panel, and when I do this here, and apply voltage from the meter, I also read voltage on the ground, from black to neutral, and also black to green, which of course applys voltage to lthe outlet box in the wall.. At the same time, I am told, the green ground does not have voltage, till a problem occurs, have I got one already.. Seems to me I have hot outlet boxe plus a hot breaker box housing..
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

Apr 13, 2007, 11:48 AM
    The black ( Hot ) always goes to the brass screw, the white ( Neutral ) always goes to the silver screw and the ground wire goes on the green screw on any normal 120 volt receptacle. You should always read 120 volts from the black wire to both the neutral and ground wire. The black wire is the energized wire and the neutral and ground just complete the circuit back to your breaker box. You shouldn't have any voltage between the ground and neutral.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 11:54 AM
    JackT hit the mark. Also, the green (ground) should not have power or be energized unless there is a short.
    ZCCG Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Apr 14, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Jack T and Ballengerb1 are correct. The bigger opening is on the Neutral side and has the Silver screw.
    With your meter... short opening to either large opening or ground should be 120.
    You should read Zero volts between the Large opening ( Neutral ) and ground.
    The way that I was taught to remember this was that the darker colored wire(black or red) goes to the darker colored screw(Brass).Lighter colored wire (White ) to the lighter colored screw ( Silver )... Green is always ground and goes to the green screw.
    Honduras Bob Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 07:43 PM
    This is totally correct! Tnanx for your response..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Generator grounding [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a 4400/3500 watt generator for a building project. The directions say that I need to ground the generator with a suitable grounding rod and stranded No. 12 AWG wire. I have never heard of contractors grounding their generators. Are they being careless, or are my generator...

Grounding an Outlet [ 22 Answers ]

I am moving into an older house that has only 2-prong outlets. Some are 3-prong, but they are not grounded (I have a power strip that tells you if it is gounded or not). I found this at Ace Hardware....

Wiring basement - outlets/lights per circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement and I'm getting ready to do the wiring plan. I plan to have both outlets and lights on each circuit and I'm planning on 3 circuits (1 for a workshop (20Amp?), 2 (15 Amp?)for the rest of the basement including a rec room, craft room, bathroom, closets). Are there code...

Grounding a subpanel [ 1 Answers ]

I have a set of direct current solar panels mounted on a metal structure (carport). All the panels and the structure are grounded to a ground rod driven near one of the support posts. Can I use the same ground rod for the ground connection of an alternating current subpanel mounted on one of...

Help - What to do with the Grounding Wires [ 5 Answers ]

Because of brown waters, I want to re-run the hot/cold water pipes for the entire house. But there is one major problem, the existing galvanized pipes had some grounding wires attached to them and I'll plan to use the PEX pipe. I have no ideas how to run the new grounding wires when I take out...

View more questions Search