Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Mar 15, 2016, 06:48 AM
    Combining roof vents in attic
    I have 4 vents coming out backside of my roof ( span of approx 25' )

I plan to put metal roof and would like to combine the vents in attic
    and just have one vent through roof.

Three vents are for my 2 bathrooms and one vent for the central unit.
    One is a 4" ... the others are 1 1/2 " to 2".

I can show diagram of layout if needed.

Will it affect there operation by combining them in attic ?

Any advice appreciated.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 15, 2016, 12:15 PM
    It is OK to combine all PLUMBING vents into your existing 4" (plumbing) stock vent. Use long 90 degree bends to make the vertical-to-horizontal transition, and run 2" and 1 1/2" pipes up-slope with 1/4" per foot up-slope towards the point of connection. Use Fernco couplings to connect new and old. Secure horizontal runs with proper support so they don't collapse.

If your 4" main stock vent is cast iron, you have to support the pipe prior to cutting it. Cast Iron pipe is very heavy and it will collapse on you if not supported. Also cutting 4" cast iron is a bit tricky and you want to make sure you have proper tools, and "know-how-to" before you undertake such project. You will most likely need a second set of hands to help you with this project.

Not sure what do you mean by "... for central unit ..." but must stress - ONLY plumbing vents can be combined. Any other vent - as is air discharge vent, furnace vent, sewer ejector vent, dryer vent, kitchen hood vent, etc - cannot be combined in any combination and has to run through the roof independently

Hope that helps

Milo

Mar 17, 2016, 03:23 AM
    I wanted to get in the attic to make sure I was giving you accurate info.

Here is the layout. All pipe sizes are outer dimensions.

Thanks for the reply.
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2016, 08:35 AM
    All plumbing vents to be connected to the 3 3/4" vent (on the left). The A/C coil (.. I assume you meant to say furnace.. ) will have to vent separately. Therefore, you will end up with 2 roof penetrations

Mar 17, 2016, 09:39 AM
    Thanks Milo... appreciate your advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing vents in attic [ 6 Answers ]

Hi my plumbing vent is vented into the attic. Is this safe?

Combining Vent pipes in the attic [ 3 Answers ]

Can I combine multiple vent pipes into a single vent pipe in the attic? I am in the process of installing a metal roof. Currently there are 5 vent pipes exiting through the roof and I would like to combine the pipes into a single large pipe that will exit through the roof. Don't want multiple...

Attic Vents [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. Right now our vents (2) in the attic are open to keep the air flow going smoothly. Do we close those during the winter months? We ar ein the northeast so it gets quite cold and very snowy. Thank you.

Toilet vents to attic [ 2 Answers ]

The toilets in my house vent to the attic causing a bad smell in a room over the garage. The room is really a finished part of the attic. What kind of contractor can I hire to extend the vents through the roof?

Combining Vents? [ 3 Answers ]

My main stack/vent which penetrates my roof is 4" plastic. It comes down vertical until it gets to the first floor ceiling where is turns 90 deg and runs horizontal to an outside wall. About 3 feet from this 90 deg elbow there is a "Y" connection for a toilet. I'm not sure but I assume at the...

View more questions Search