Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KMC6296 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Apr 13, 2007, 10:51 AM
    How does Vonage work?
    I work from home and will be moving to a different area code within the next month. I use my cell phone for all phone calls, which my company pays for. My problem is my fax. I receive a ton of faxes every day and don't want to change my fax #. I checked with Vonage and it appears as if they would service my fax #. I guess I'm not sure how Vonage works. I must have high speed internet to function. Right now I have DSL through my local phone company. Would I need to establish phone service at my new home with DSL and then get Vonage? Would I be paying for monthly phone service and DSL to the phone company and then Vonage on top of that?
    Any help would be appreciated !:)
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Yes, Vonage will charge you a monthly fee apart from your internet provider, it uses its own router to convert voice into data and send it over the net to the other phone/fax.

Wikipedia can explain more about it
    Vonage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2007, 11:57 AM
    I have had Vonage as my phone service for about 3 years. What you need is any broad band service, a router if you are going to share the connection with another device, and a telephone adapter. There are combination router telephone adapters. You may or may not have to use Vonage equipment now. I have cable internet, a router which I bought, and a telephone adapter Vonage furnished. Retaining your old phone number depends on your old phone company. Under current regulations, all the real phone companies must allow you to keep it. Under the regulations at the time, my former phony company didn't have to.

I think most phone companies bundle a local line into their DSL. I know for a while, my son had DSL for internet, but only used his cell phone. He never bothered using the land line line provided.

I have seen some banner ads for E fax, not sure if here or maybe on Yahoo. Don't know if it is something you could use or not.

I pay $45 for cable and $30 for phone service. I now have better service and free calls to the US, Canada, and western Europe. I used to pay 10 cents a minute to call the far side of my county.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 13, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Vonage is under injunction right now to not take on new subscribers. This is because of a patent infringement suit with Verizon.

One thing I would check is to see if you can transfer your fax number to efax.com. Also, if where you are moving has cable TV service that does VoIP you may ba able to transfer your fax number to them.
    KMC6296 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Apr 13, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Great! Thanks everyone for the replies. Another question... does efax transmit to my computer? That would be awesome. And, is there a way to retrieve the faxes from a different location? Using something like PC Anywhere?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 13, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KMC6296
    Great! Thanks everyone for the replies. Anothe question ... does efax transmit to my computer? That would be awesome. And, is there a way to retrieve the faxes from a different location? Using something like PC Anywhere?
    Efax sends you an e-mail to let you know that a fax has come in. Since the faxes are stored on Efax until you retrieve them, you can retrieve your faxes from anywhere you have WEB access.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vonage Pricing guaranteed? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm considering Vonage for my business line. The rep I talked to on the phone told me that the price that is on the plan when I sign up will remain the same "forever". I respectfully asked the rep where I can find this in writing on the site and she said it's not there. She did claim,...

Considering Vonage for our Business line [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone had experience to share about Vonage for a business line? Thanks!

Vonage [ 4 Answers ]

In case you aren't aware, Vonage is planning an IPO. As part of that they are offering longer term customers the ability to purchase shares at the initial offering price. Since I qualify I have been thinking about investing a relatively small amount (about $1K). I think the offering price will be...

Vonage and other services like that [ 2 Answers ]

Is anyone using Vonage or similar services where you can use your regular telephones to call other regular telephones via your cable modem? I heard an advertisement and I am wondering what people who are really using it think.

View more questions Search