Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twitherspoon Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2005, 07:52 AM
    Painting a basement ceiling
    I'm planning on finishing my basement. I have preliminary ruled out drywall and installing a drop ceiling. I have decided on painting the ceiling all black much like they do in a lot of restaurants. My question is what is the best and easiest way to paint a basement ceiling?

Thanks for your help.
    -Tony
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2005, 08:04 AM
    Us a brush or the little things with wheels at the edges. Then use a roller with extension handles. Play around and find the length you are most comfortable with. Use at least a medium nap. The longer the knap, the easier to get down into low spots giving complete coverage.
    twitherspoon Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2005, 03:23 PM
    What about paint sprayers? It looks like it will be a tough job to use a roller between the joists
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2005, 05:02 PM
    I guess I didn't read your question carefully enough and didn't realize it wasn't a finished ceiling all. Leaving pipes, ducts, conduit, rafters, and everything else up there exposed and spraying it flat black is a common technique now. Airless systems create less over spray. It may be worth while to rent one. Maybe things like the Wagner electric sprayer would work too. It would be better if the walls are not finished yet when you do it. Otherwise tape up at least one full sheet of newspaper all around. Put a plastic sheet over, or move to the far end anything like a washer of furnace. Shut off the furnace or hot water heater before covering them. If you are using a oil based paint, turn off the pilot light, remove any phones, any shut off any electric motors. You can have the lights on, but do not switch anything on or off.

A spray gun fed from a hose to a pot on the floor will work better spraying up to a ceiling. The paint will all run to the bottom of a gun with a pot of paint. Your arm will fall off too. You may want to at least get a price from a professional.
    thetachi464 Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Mar 8, 2005, 09:31 PM
    If you are going to use a drop celling then I would paint the tiles before you install them that way you can do it outside. Then you can paint the rest of the stuff that is hanging/exposed with a brush or a roller.
    ljc294 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2005, 02:40 PM
    How about finishing the walls?
    I am also planning on leaving the ceiling unfinished and painting it. My question is: What should I do with the tops of the dry wall? Is there something that I should do to finish off the look? Molding or something? I am having a hard time visualizing it. Thanks.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2005, 08:13 PM
    They sell corners a half inch on a side, I know wood and maybe plastic. If the drywall is touching the joists, you could cut enough away with a razor knife to make room for the strip. Or I guess just a flat strip pushed up against the joists. If the drywall doesn't reach clear up to the joists, the gap behind it would be up too high to be seen.
    JCH Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2005, 07:08 PM
    Finishing walls to basement ceiling
    Two ideas I've tried and was successful .
    First try dropping the color of the ceiling onto the wall, size depends on height of basement. The basement was 102" high so I "dropped" ceiling color 7" onto wall.
    Then install a 1" trim at the line where ceiling and wall color connect.
    Second do the same as above but instead of 1" trim try crown moulding and insert rope lighting inside. The result will give you a warm and relaxing lighting.
    buck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2005, 05:05 AM
    Spray painting unfinished basement ceiling
    I am checking out spraypainting an unfinished basement ceiling and am unsure what to do with the space between the drywall and the ceiling where the insulation shows
    MATTDIY Posts: 1, Reputation: 3

Feb 27, 2008, 11:53 AM
    I have very recently achieved excellent results painting my unfinished basement ceiling and am currently in the process of drywalling the surrounding walls.

I used a GRACO sprayer I purchased online. This was the DIY model and ran about $280.00. The suction hose goes right into the paint bucket and remains at floor level. (I put the sprayer and paint on a dolly and pulled it behind me as I worked). I used a paint called DRY FOG (water based) from Porter Paints. This is the exact paint the commercial places use (restaurants). The over-spray will fall to the ground dry and came be swept up. It is only available in 5 gallon buckets. This size bucket worked perfect with the particular sprayer.

The negatives are the odor which lingers for about 2 days. Be sure to where a proper respirator.

I had installed black track lighting (track only) just before spraying. I was sure I made a good decision after I got the track cans locked on. :)
    LeighaM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2010, 01:13 PM
    My mom is finishing her basement to make an apartment, we just sprayed the ceiling all black, completely exposed everything!
    The ceiling looks GREAT, however, it was sprayed with a paint sprayer rented from Lowe's, and black paint is EVERYWHERE! It is like black baby powder all over. It can be swept up, but the concrete floor is still stained kind of blackish... It is OK because we are going to put down carpet. Just wanted to let anyone know who is thinking about doing it, looks great, but kind of a mess to clean up afterwards??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting an unfinished basement celing [ 3 Answers ]

Any advice on painting an unfinished basement ceiling. I did read the posts about spraying But what type of paint wshould be used to cover the wiring, ducts etc as well as the joists etc. Has anyone tried this apporach. It is popular in commercial spaces and I have seen it in a few basement...

Hanging ceiling fan from vaulted ceiling peak [ 2 Answers ]

Want to install Hampton Bay's Berlini model 729395 on a cathedral ceiling with a single ridge beam. Want to hang fan from the peak and there's not enough room for the canopy to cover the hanger bracket. Is there any extenders for this?

Ceiling Condensate (basement) [ 6 Answers ]

Our front porch, which was laid with metal sheathing and then poured with concrete is the partial ceiling of a room in our basement. The ceiling of that room below in the basement is forming droplets of water and is now dripping on to the floor. What can we do to resolve the condensation problem? ...

Basement ceiling condensate [ 1 Answers ]

Our front porch, which was laid with metal sheathing and then poured with concrete is the ceiling of a room in our basement. The ceiling of that room below in the basement has formed water droplets and is now dripping on the floor. What can we do to resolve the condensation problem? This is a...

Painting an unfinished basement ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

We are finishing our basement and have decided to paint the unfinished basement ceiling. I'm looking to insilate between the floor for sound proofing. What are the best solutions to do this. Also what suggestion on shade of paint light or dark,textured or smooth,laytext or oil based. All help is...

View more questions Search