Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinkerbell77 Posts: 96, Reputation: 6

Apr 13, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Talking at work
    Well, I'll try to make this short. I have worked for the same company for 5 + years. Honestly, I was over joyed when I got hired. I really thought the company would be great for me. And the benefits are great... But there has come many challenges with the position. They are not sympathetic to home/family issues, there is a lot of gossip when you work with 90% Women, and it's extremely hard to get a pay raise or promotion with out knowing any one. You have to kiss A*&, and I'm not that type. But here is the one problem that I've had since day one. We are all in cubicals, we do not get a whole lot of phone calls. Maybe 2 or 3 a day, lasting 5 minutes each. And if we get up to talk a little, OR try to talk over the cubical walls while we work, we get yelled at. I have to admit, I can be quiet the talker. And I've learned to limit my conversations... But I get so depressed every morning as I walk in and think: Here we go again!! I come in, turn my computer on.. As quietly as possible I say "good morning" to those I see. We kind of all nod or say it under our breath. I sit down at my desk and honestly keep everything inside. It makes me so sad that I can't even walk over to the lady next to me and ask how her weekend went, or if she is feeling better after she's been out sick. I can understand when conversation intrudes on work dutys, but seriously this is ridiculous... I've worked in different area's of the company and had different managers. But it seems to be a running thing threw the whole company that management doesn't want there team to talk, at all!! I've tried to apply for other jobs out side the company and decided that I must not be a office person... That I need customers or people interaction. But, the pay that I receive at this point is hard to find. And I'm not sure what to do?? Any suggestions?? I have brought in music, with head phones of course. A lot of us email one another so that we aren't "talking". Any other thoughts on how to make it a more pleasant experience?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 10:45 AM
    You have managed to find two very good things to do to combat the isolation that you feel. I can't imagine what else you can do except, if your company has a one hour lunch policy and break policies, utilize them to your full advantage to socialize during those times.

Tinker, please don't be too upset with me 'cause I really hate to say it honey, but management is paying you to work, not talk. If you find this situation that distressing, then you will have to find a job in an organization in which management is less stringent with it's rules. I guess you have to figure out which is more important to you, making more money or freedom to chat.
    tinkerbell77 Posts: 96, Reputation: 6

Apr 13, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Thanks for the input! I know the company is paying me to do a job. That is why I don't want to make a big deal about it. I'm thinking that the type of person I am that I need to make a career change. I really do need customers, or some people interaction. It's the fear of taking a cut in pay, that holds me back.
    So I just thought maybe people would have suggestions on how to deal with the silence! :D
    pseudonym_1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2012, 05:11 PM
    I have never understood the mentality that talking necessarily = not working? On the other hand it definitely does break concentration and mistakes do get maid if you do not identify the right time to talk, or more importantly the wrong time to talk. For me, talking whilst working (as opposed to stopping and talking) can have benefits for the company ( “a happy worker is a good worker”) you are a human being and not a robot. However, there are times when you must keep quiet to allow both yourself and others to focus on the task at hand. The ultimate problem is one of perception. Rob just gets on with the work, whilst Charlie likes a chat, and with redundancies in the pipeline we may have to choose who goes? Even if Charlie’s productivity is the same as Rob’s, the perception is not. Furthermore, Charlie leaves himself open to attack; anybody seen Charlie he is not at his desk? Oh don’t worry I will see if I can find who he is talking to now? (Another candidate for redundancy that is not me.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Talking english [ 17 Answers ]

I have a problem in talking frequently english I can understand write and do every thing but iff some one talks with me I get confused plzzz help me

Not talking. [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend is not talking to me.. 20 days before we had a big quarrel... where.. he got frustrated and he told me not to call him... initially also we were fighting many times... but we haven't stayed very long... max was 10 days... but now 20 days have passed... neither he called nor I called......

Talking Dirty?? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, I hope this isn't a dumb question but what do guys want to hear in bed?  Like what "turns them on"?  What can I say that would make my guy happy?  I do not want to sound stupid though!! Please Help!  

View more questions Search