Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inoh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2016, 06:50 PM
    Accounting for Purchase of Building w/leasehold improvements
    My business leases the building we inhabit. We have quite a bit of money capitalized as leasehold improvements. We purchased the building. How do we account for those improvements on BS and IS.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2016, 10:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inoh View Post
    My business leases the building we inhabit. We have quite a bit of money capitalized as leasehold improvements. We purchased the building. How do we account for those improvements on BS and IS.
    I would have expected you would have already capitalised and depreciated the leasehold improvements. If you have written them off then a revaluation of the building will absorb the improvements
    inoh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2016, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I would have expected you would have already capitalised and depreciated the leasehold improvements. If you have written them off then a revaluation of the building will absorb the improvements
    Thanks you for the reply. The leasehold improvements were about 1/2 depreciated when we decided to purchase the building. Should we writeoff the remainder of the book value to depreciation expense or other, such as loss on retirement/disposition of fixed assets?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leasehold building rent [ 2 Answers ]

My company has taken a new office on 1-4-2009 on lease for 1 year ,total rent 55000 RS. On the time of agreement 10000 cash paid ( 1-4-2009), and rest for 3 cheques ( amt 15000 each ) are issued for 3 different dates ( 1-7-2009,1-10-2009,1-1-2010 ). Please tell me how we pass the journal...

Office Building Purchase [ 2 Answers ]

Acme Plus purchases a new office building for $600,000.00. Working in Quickbooks, how is the mortgage information entered? I know there has to be a long term liability for the mortgage but is the $600,000.00 also entered as an asset? Thanks

View more questions Search