Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jasoup Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2016, 03:23 PM
    Incorporation of Business Startup Journal Entries?
    I'm having trouble with the journalizing this:

Robb had $10 000 in accumulated savings with a potential of making $3000 per month
    Apr 1st: Rob incorporated his business. Initial capitalization allowed for 20 000 par value shares. In addition he paid an additional $500 to register his website name. Rob contributed $10 000 in exchange for 10 000 shares which was deposited into a new bank account set up on Apri 1st, The bank account was a standard checking account that gave cheques returned with monthly statements of a fee of $50/month.
    Note, startup costs can be capitalized as the intangible asset "organizational costs" with indefinite lifeline, website names would be afforded same treatment...

I have attempted to journalize this myself as:
    For the first part I did:
    dr Organizational Costs 500
    cr Cash 500

Then I did:
    dr Cash 10 000
    Cr Common Stock 10 000

==> These journal entries... ontop of this confusion I was wondering If "Cash" is the correct account to use because it said deposited into a new bank account?

EDIT: On the bank statement of account it says Apri 1st Deposit: Credit => 10, 205
    Is this referring to the stock? If my 2nd journal entry was wrong... what is the correct entry for this stock please help
    I've been thinking hard for this for awhile.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2016, 04:51 PM
    Careful reading is required

A journal entry is required establishing the authorised capital.
    The initial expenses were not paid out of the corporate bank account so Rob is either a creditor or is entitled to additional shares or reimbursement. If these expenses were paid out of the corporate bank account the balance would be less than $10,000
    The disbursement account is better named Bank. The balance indicates there are transactions other than the $10,000

Mar 3, 2016, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Careful reading is required

A journal entry is required establishing the authorised capital.
    The initial expenses were not paid out of the corporate bank account so Rob is either a creditor or is entitled to additional shares or reimbursement. If these expenses were paid out of the corporate bank account the balance would be less than $10,000
    The disbursement account is better named Bank. The balance indicates there are transactions other than the $10,000
    So... Is this more correct? These are the 2 supporting documents provided in the attachments... the $1500 mentioned on the invoice is not mentioned anywhere so I'm assuming Rob paid the $1500

This is what I wrote now:
    Dr. Cash 20 000
    Cr. Rob, Capital 20 000

Dr. Bank 10 205
    Cr. Common Shares 10 000
    Cr. Service Revenue 205

Dr. Organizational Cost 2000
    Cr. Bank 500
    Cr. Cash 1500
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2016, 08:26 PM
    o... Is this more correct? These are the 2 supporting documents provided in the attachments... the $1500 mentioned on the invoice is not mentioned anywhere so I'm assuming Rob paid the $1500

This is what I wrote now:
    Dr. Cash 20 000
    Cr. Rob, Capital 20 000

Dr. Bank 10 205
    Cr. Common Shares 10 000
    Cr. Service Revenue 205

Cr. Bank 500
    Cr. Cash 1500
    I have seen the bank statement there is a great deal there that requires greater detail

However

The Authorised capital

Cr Aurthorised Capital $20,000
    Dr Unissued Capital $20,000

There is no cash involved.

You cannot assume anything either a transaction can be vouched from the bank account or it remains outstanding in which case the entry would be

Dr Organisational cost $1500
    Cr Creditors $1500

Cheque number 1 or cheque number 10 might be the payment of the organisational cost of $500, we don't have that detail, there is no payment of $1,500 nor do we have detail of Cash Transactions as opposed to Bank transactions

Mar 3, 2016, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I have seen the bank statement there is a great deal there that requires greater detail

However

The Authorised capital

Cr Aurthorised Capital $20,000
    Dr Unissued Capital $20,000

There is no cash involved.

You cannot assume anything either a transaction can be vouched from the bank account or it remains outstanding in which case the entry would be

Dr Organisational cost $1500
    Cr Creditors $1500

Cheque number 1 or cheque number 10 might be the payment of the organisational cost of $500, we don't have that detail, there is no payment of $1,500 nor do we have detail of Cash Transactions as opposed to Bank transactions
    Oh, forgot to mention for the bank statement I was just analyzing the first 2 lines (deposit and cheque 1) that apply to my question. Cheque 1 is the payment for the website name. Sorry I'm now confused of what will happen to the 10 000 shares acquired by Rob? Is authorized capital the same as the common stock I used before (I think common stock is an equity account correct?). So would it be:

Dr Unissued Capital/Common stock $20,000
    Cr Authorised Capital/Authorized Common stock $20,000

Dr. Bank 10 205
    Cr. Unissued Capital/ Common stock10 000
    Cr. Service Revenue 205

Cr. Bank 500
    Cr. Creditors 1500 <===== Can I just add this 1500 to the 500 above to make:

Cr. Bank 2000

Ps. Thanks for helping me so much :s
    PPS. Unissued/authorized capital they're both equity accounts? Or is one different, because if they're both equity wouldn't we have 40 000 total in equity?
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2016, 10:57 PM
    Authorised Capital is the nominal capital of the organisation $20,000

Issued capital is the capital you have received consideration for in this case $10,000 It depends on where you are as to what descriptions are used.

I can see no transaction that justifies your last entry

Mar 3, 2016, 11:21 PM
    Ah I see I think. So when adding these 2 types of accounts into a software program (gnucash) do I just put them as equity accounts?
    Also my first 2 transactions are correct right? Except for my last? Which was:

Dr org cost 2000
    Cr bank 500
    Cr creditors 1500

If so... What so I'm horrible confused to what do I add the $500 from the website fee as and journalize it?
    Can you help me to why 1500 is labelled to as for creditors and why there is nothing that justifies the above transaction ^

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journal Entries & Adjusting Journal Entries [ 2 Answers ]

Nov. 15- Purchased $1,600 of merchandise on account from Martin Co, terms 1/30; paid $60 of associated freight charges in cash. My answer: Merchandise Inventory $1600 Accounts Payable $1600 Cash $60 Freight Expense $60...

Prepare general journal entries for the following transactions of a new business call [ 1 Answers ]

Prepare the Journal Entries for Mr. Kamote a businessman in Nairobi began a business on 1st January 2010 with cash in hand Ksh. 450,000 and cash at bank Ksh. 1,000,000. The following transactions took place during the month: 2nd January 2010 -Purchased goods for cash Ksh. 75,000 8th January...

Accounting entries for pre incorporation expense [ 1 Answers ]

Accounting entries for pre incorporation expense

Pass Journal Entries , Post entries to ledger and prepare trial balance [ 4 Answers ]

Rajaram quit his job and started woodcraft comopany ( Service Firm) The transactions of the business for September are as follows. Sep 1 Began Business by investing cash Rs 10000 in exchange of 1000 shares 4 Paid two month Rent in advance for a shop Rs 2000 5 Bought Equipment...

View more questions Search