Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LISAINCT64 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2016, 11:31 AM
    5 Story building in CT Shakes
    I'm at work and on the 3d floor of a 5 story building anytime ANYONE walks everything shakes. WTH is this normal I don't like it. We can't hear or feel other floors just on our floor when people walk holy moly its awful.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 1, 2016, 11:48 AM
    Unless you can tell us details about the structural materials and age and size of the building, I would suggest that you tell your employer that it's nerve wracking and see what he or she says.
    I can imagine what you describe in a renovated brick factory with wooden floors, based on not being able to hear feet above you. Is that the kind of building?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2016, 11:59 AM
    That is fairly typical of too much floor load for the supporting joists. When you compromise the modulus of elasticity for wood, the floor starts to flex as you note.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat trap loop in a multi-story building? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I've been reading a lot on DHW heat traps (nipples and loops) and I have a question on loops. Do the loops only work in houses where the hot water faucets are at the same or lower level than the hot water outlet of the heater? I live in an apartment building on the 4th floor and our...

How much is going rate for cleaning a two story commercial building [ 1 Answers ]

I am presently meeting a person who wants to use my cleaning company to clean a two story office building approximately 200,000 square feet. It has several doctors offices inside the building along with other types of offices. It also has two bathrooms inside the building and other common areas....

Multi story building hot water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a 5 story building with a sizable hot water heater. When I take a shower, the water will turn instantly ice cold if an upstairs neighbor turns their shower to hot. We have a single hot water pipe that comes up the chase to all apartments and then there is a "T" at each shower. When I...

View more questions Search