Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DougieFresco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2016, 09:38 AM
    Wiring outlet in basement to circuit thays upstairs
    I bought netgear pl 1200 powerline adapters for my Internet my modem and router are in my basement my gaming console is in my room on the 2nd floor, 3rd floor if you count the basement. They say for best results to use outlets on the same circuit. I just need to know if I can wire a new outlet in my basement and connect it to the circuit breaker my bedroom is on, so they can be on the same circuit for best results. And do so without running wires through the walls to my room.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2016, 06:09 PM
    Hard to give you an answer since we have no idea as to how your house is wired, what type of breaker box you have or what type of breakers. A breaker that accepts two wires will have ridges or grooves or a retaining washer that holds two wire ends in place fully under the screw head without wrapping them around the screw shank and just before the screw is tightened. That is a permitted way. Better to check the name of your box and the name and listing of the breaker and then compare it to a similar breaker. Many Square D breakers have 2 wire connections. You also need to check with your local codes to see what they allow. Some allow pigtails to a breaker, others don't.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 28, 2016, 06:26 PM
    The chances of your bedroom being on the same circuit as your basement are almost zero. Find the breaker that kills receptacles in the basement, not necessarily the lights, and switch it off. Now see if your br receptacle has power, likely it will.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 29, 2016, 08:09 PM
    They say for best results to use outlets on the same circuit.
    I suspect the objective of this is for all of the equipment to be on the same half of the phase.

Breakers 1,2,5,6,9,10,13,14,17,18, etc. are on one half of the phase.
    Breakers 3,4,7,8,11,12,15,16,19,20, etc are on the other half of the phase.

If basement and bedroom are on the same half of the phase you don't have to do any thing.
    If basement and bedroom are not on the same half of the phase, move one of them up or down one space and they will be.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2016, 11:12 PM
    It some situations you have two circuits on opposite legs sharing a neutral. Be advised that if your panel is wired in this configuration you just can't move breakers around. You may be overloading the neutral(s) if you do. Just be aware of what you do.

Mar 1, 2016, 06:26 AM
    Sorry, I but disagree. If you have a MWBC (two circuits sharing a neutral) and you move the breaker up or down one space you haven't changed any loads. You have only reversed the half of the cycle the loads are on.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2016, 07:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Sorry, I but disagree. If you have a MWBC (two circuits sharing a neutral) and you move the breaker up or down one space you haven't changed any loads. You have only reversed the half of the cycle the loads are on.
    If it's a double breaker, that's correct. But there are many single pole breakers used in MWBC configurations... and I know that shouldn't be done.

Mar 2, 2016, 05:24 AM
    Sorry but I disagree again. Nothing changes but the half of the cycle it is on.

PS
    I have about 20 MWBC in my home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical outlet wiring/switched outlet? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to fix the wiring in an outlet in the master bedroom of the house we just bought. Currently there is a 3 gang swtich at the entrance to the bedroom. We were told two of the 3 switches controlled the fan & light for a ceiling fan lamp that was removed by the previous owner. We were...

All upstairs lights on 1 circuit! [ 5 Answers ]

Downstairs was rewired and updated but the 2nd floor apt lighting is still the old post and tube system. The outlets are updated with romex running to them. But there are about 8 overhead lights in all the rooms that run on 1 circuit. Was wondering if I should replace the breaker with AFCI? ...

Outlet boxes and wiring installed on basement wall [ 1 Answers ]

What is the proper method of wiring outlets on the basement wall. The wall has 2x3 firring strips 16" OC. Does the wire have to be in conduit?

Wiring basement - outlets/lights per circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement and I'm getting ready to do the wiring plan. I plan to have both outlets and lights on each circuit and I'm planning on 3 circuits (1 for a workshop (20Amp?), 2 (15 Amp?)for the rest of the basement including a rec room, craft room, bathroom, closets). Are there code...

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search