Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ryuktank Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2016, 06:47 PM
    Filed the wrong forms 4 years straight (1040 instead of 1040NR)
    I have been to US 4 years in a row with a J1 Visa.
    I have been filing wrong tax forms for 4 years straight. I just found out that as a Non-Resident alien I need to file the 1040NR form, I have been doing it online through turbotax, which offers only 1040.
    I have received the refunds for all the years, I even claimed some student credit. What would you suggest I do? There is no way I can return the money, it is gone and I am not rich. Do I risk to go to prison? Fines? What if I never tell anyone? Will it just slide? Also, if I try to get citizenship later, will it affect me in any way?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2016, 07:46 PM
    There will be NO prison. Your mistake is rather common among J-1 and F-1 visa holders.

That said, if you plan to file for green card status, you WILL eventually need to fix the problem by amending your returns.

You CAN set up a payment plan with the IRS if you do not have the funds.

If you need professional help with this, please email me at the email address in mt profile.
    ryuktank Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2016, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    There will be NO prison. Your mistake is rather common among J-1 and F-1 visa holders.

That said, if you plan to file for green card status, you WILL eventually need to fix the problem by amending your returns.

You CAN set up a payment plan with the IRS if you do not have the funds.

If you need professional help with this, please email me at the email address in mt profile.
    Thank you very much for your reply!

You are right, half of my university does it, and that's just a fraction.

Just a couple more questions, would I have to pay interest on the extra money I have got? Also, would IRS ever find anything out? I mean, I wouldn't do it if I knew it back then but now there is basically no turning back for me. Until now no one has contacted me with anything and I had no problem with the immigration. Would someone have to tell on me for me to get in trouble?

Thank you again!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 28, 2016, 08:48 AM
    The mistakes will be discovered during the green card applicaion process, at which point in time you would have to do the amendments.

Yes, interest will be charged on any payback, and the longer you wait, the more you pay in interest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filed Wrong Form 1040 instead of 1040NR,need to AMEND it! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, First of all, thank you for your support, My question might have been answered in somewhere else but I didn't find exactly what I needed to know, so I'd appreciate if you guys help me out about this: (I am a non-resident student on F1 visa and we don't have tax treaty with US),...

Wrong Tax form filed by f-1 student. Filed 1040 instead of 1040NR. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am in a dilemma and I will really appreciate your help. I am a student/f-1 visa holder (non-resident alien). Last week I used an online website (File my taxes for FREE! with FreeTaxUSA) to file tax returns and realized that the website used Form 1040, and PA-40 - 2007 (for...

Noneresident / filed wrong tax form 1040 instead of 1040nr [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I live in Europe and own real estate in California since 1984. Between 1984 and 1990 I have lived always more than 180 days in California. My daughter was born in 1990 and the wife and I only have visited the state of and on during the year. Until I got married to my wife I was always paying...

Filed 1040 instead of 1040NR for the past 5 years! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on F-1 status (Indian Citizen), I was recently made aware that I have been filing the wrong tax form for the past 5 years(1040 instead of 1040NR). The following are the tax forms that I have filed out over the past 5 years and the tax summary 2001: 1040A Gross Income: $1398.00...

Please help - amending tax returns - wrong forms (1040) filed [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to these forums - but seeing the responses, I am sure that I will get some much needed advice. My situtation is this: I was an Indian Student on F1 from July 2003 to April 2006. (My H1-B visa was approved to become effective from April 2006.) I...

View more questions Search