Feb 26, 2016, 03:13 PM
    Puppy won't poop
    Even after reading all this my 5 week old puppy still won't poop
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 26, 2016, 05:33 PM
    Reading all what?
    When did he last poop?
    Is this puppy with his mother, or recently removed? Awfully young.
    This can be serious. Wish you hadn't waited til the end of the afternoon on a Friday.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 27, 2016, 06:00 PM
    Reading all of what? Please advise.

At 5 weeks your puppy is still very young. Mom dog should be caring for him, and helping him poop. That's why a puppy this young shouldn't be removed from the mother, unless of course there's no option, like the mother dying, or unable to care for her pups.

A little more info from you would help us give a better answer.

A few questions:

Is puppy eating solid food? If so, what, and how are you serving it?

Is puppy drinking plenty of water?

When was puppy weaned?

Is puppy still with the mother, or was he removed? If so, when and why?

Has the puppy seen a vet since he was born?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 27, 2016, 07:24 PM
    Mom dog would gently lick the pup's tummy to make him poop. You could try gently rubbing his tummy in a circular motion. And yes, some good questions from other posters you could answer so you may receive qualified answers.

What have you been reading ?
    Pets Expert

Feb 28, 2016, 06:46 PM
    Actually tickle, the mom dog would lick his bum, not his tummy. A warm wet cloth with a tiny bit of pressure on his bum, would work much better than rubbing his tummy.
    Expert

Feb 29, 2016, 05:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Actually tickle, the mom dog would lick his bum, not his tummy. A warm wet cloth with a tiny bit of pressure on his bum, would work much better than rubbing his tummy.
    I would not have suggested this method if it had not worked for me on a foundling 3 week old pup. Was suggested by my vet. The foundling grew up to be a healthy dog.
    Pets Expert

Feb 29, 2016, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I would not have suggested this method if it had not worked for me on a foundling 3 week old pup. Was suggested by my vet. The foundling grew up to be a healthy dog.
    I'm so glad it worked for you, you were very lucky.

Vets normally recommend that you gently rub the bum with a warm wet cloth, because it works. New moms lick their babies bum to stimulate a bowel movement, they also lick the vagina or penis to stimulate urination. Any legit breeder can tell you this as well.

There are many articles about it. Very interesting reading. I'm glad your method worked for you, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense, whereas the bum licking is a natural thing a mother dog does from day one with her pups. :)

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...bU5LUOm-LGRxAw

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...NZW3ZlZ_sYSbPA

That's just two links of pages of links that explain what I stated above. The approved method by vets, is stimulating the anus with a warm moist cloth rubbed gently over the bum.
    Expert

Mar 1, 2016, 03:45 AM
    LOL thanks for the info. My experience with that lovely little dog I adopted was about 40 years ago. Could be information has been up dated since then. Lucky it worked ? If it had not I certainly would have tried something else !
    Pets Expert

Mar 1, 2016, 04:34 PM
    LOL thanks for the info. My experience with that lovely little dog I adopted was about 40 years ago. Could be information has been up dated since then. Lucky it worked ? If it had not I certainly would have tried something else !
    Anyone that can keep a 3 week old puppy alive without it's mother, is very lucky.
    Expert

Mar 2, 2016, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Anyone that can keep a 3 week old puppy alive without it's mother, is very lucky.
    We actually kept all four alive. They were found in a river in a plastic bag. Vet in Georgetown, Ontario suggested bottle feeding with similac.

They flourished ! We found homes for all but one, which I kept.

Luck, maybe some, but a lot of love and determination and a good vet willing to help
    Pets Expert

Mar 2, 2016, 01:10 PM
    We actually kept all four alive. They were found in a river in a plastic bag. Vet in Georgetown, Ontario suggested bottle feeding with similac.

They flourished ! We found homes for all but one, which I kept.

Luck, maybe some, but a lot of love and determination and a good vet willing to help
    Very true. Love and determination go a long way. But a little bit of luck never hurts. At 3 weeks most puppies don't survive without their mom. You kept 4 alive, and they all survived and had good lives. That's amazing. Having a good vet help you, and your determination and love, all played a huge part. A little luck didn't hurt either. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My puppy won't poop. Help [ 4 Answers ]

My puppy did not poop since I brought him home about two days. It is 4 month old puppy. It was given to me as a gift from my girlfriend. A weird kind of puppy, it does not sniff around the place, always lying down and sleeps

Puppy won't poop [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old apbt. Ever since I got her she's been afraid to go outside. When I put on her harness and leash she shakes. I read ignoring that lets her know its not acceptable to be scared to go out, so that's what I do. I don't have a problem with her peeing. Just pooping outside. Either if...

My Puppy won't poop outside [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 12 week old lab who refuses to poop outside. I will catch him sniffing around and bring him out but he holds it until he comes inside. We are crate training him and we take him outside often so I really don't know what the problem is. I am getting sick of picking up his poop though! ...

Puppy won't poop [ 3 Answers ]

My 8 week old lab hasn't pooped in 9 hours! WE had his first snowstorm today and he unfortunately broke his leg jumping off a couch two days ago.. he has already eaten two full meals. Should I be alarmed?

New puppy won't stop breathing weird. Won't poop either. [ 5 Answers ]

I just got a new puppy yesterday afternoon. He's 8 weeks old, and came from a farm. We brought him home, and the whole time he was breathing weird, like he's grunting. He slept throughout the night OK, but when I got up and took him outside, he peed but was whimpering the whole time. (I think that...

View more questions Search