Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjnowak Posts: 80, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2016, 08:04 PM
    ABS system problems
    I have a 98 K1500 Z71, having trouble with a ABS brakes going off every time I come to a stop, occasionally I don't even have to push on the brake just turn a corner and they go off. The brake light or the ABS light on the dash don't light up. I have taken the speed sensors off front axles cleaned then and sanded the rust off where they mount and still the same problem. Any ideas ? The Haynes manual doesn't say much about them and what I find online so far doesn't help much either. There really should be a book that gives step by step troubleshooting instructions ( test this, if that works then test this, if that doesn't work then that's bad, etc etc ) Frustrated. Also, in the world of OBD scan tools, I know what ABS stands for ( brakes ) but no idea what SRS stands for, can anyone tell me. Thanks.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2016, 08:17 PM
    SRS = Safety restraint System. Unrelated to the ABS brake issue.

Have you checked and cleaned ABS sensors for the back end as well?

Feb 24, 2016, 07:18 AM
    Yes I knew SRS was unrelated but still wondered what it stood for. I have not checked anything with the rear yet, are they located by rear tires or by transmission ?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2016, 08:29 AM
    I would start by changing the brake fluid and bleeding the brakes. Be sure to use ABS brake fluid. After that, I would check for any ABS codes, even if the ABS light does not go on. If you have not changed the brake fluid regularly, there may be corrosion in the ABS modulator.

Feb 24, 2016, 06:04 PM
    Yup, even though never had a warning light it has stored ABS codes. One of them : right front solenoid circuit malfunction, I don't know what this is or where it is located ? Also says Dynamic rear proportioning performance as well as both front speed sensors. OH boy, probably easier to pull the ABS fuse and go without it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing glued ABS fitting to ABS piping [ 5 Answers ]

I glued an ABS toilet flange to ab ABS pipe roughing. The fitting did not go down all the way and is 1/2" proud of the tile flooring. I now want to remove the fitting and replace with a new fitting. How do I do it without damaging the receiving pipe. Pipe is in concrete floor. Thanks, Bob

My Heating system has problems. [ 0 Answers ]

My central air and heating electric system. When I turn my heater on it blows warm air than after a while it turns to cool air and won't shut off why is this? I thought it may have something to do with the thermostat so we replaced it and still doing the same thing my home is all electric please...

Problems with XP system restore [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a problem with my PC running Windows XP. There is a piece of malware on it that has prevented me from accessing my Outlook mail. I have solved the problem temporarily before by doing a system restore to 10th December, but eventually the malware comes back and I can't access...

3" ABS toilet drain problems [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3" abs plastic pipe in my basement concrete floor, that is just below level with the floor. It is recessed about 3/8 to 1/2 inch below the floors surface. I need to put a toilet back in there and I was considering the use of the Sioux Chief closet flange that fits inside 3" pipe, however...

Vehicle System Problems [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everybody I'm trying to hook up a system in my truck and I ran into a wall. Im getting power to my amp, but on my amp it has a green light for power and a red light for protected. And I can't get the light off protected so I can't get my sub working. So how can I get it to the green light and...

View more questions Search