Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mzzparis Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2016, 10:44 AM
    Cosmopolitan Prep school
    I tried calling this number and was told they do not have the records because Cosmopolitan was not legal. Omg! What now? I graduated from there 32yrs ago in 1984.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 22, 2016, 11:01 AM
    I don't know what you mean by "not legal." From what I can tell it was not accredited, which means its diplomas would have virtually no value. When it closed they apparently did not turn over records to the state for any students after 1980. You might want to try calling the number on this PDF:

www.isbe.state.il.us/pbvs/pdf/closed_school_list.pdf

Feb 22, 2016, 11:14 AM
    Cosmopolitan Prep school
    I graduated from Cosmopolitan Prep School in 1984. I lost my diploma due to a fire in 1987. I have been working since 1984 consistently. I have recently been offered a job in the health industry and was asked to produce a physical copy of my diploma after 32yrs of receiving it. I am just learning that this school was not legit?? I spent so much of my hard earned money to obtain my diploma. I have contacted the Board of Education and they can't help. Today I was to start my new job, however since I couldn't provide proof of diploma I was told that I couldn't start. What the hell am I supposed to do now? I will be 50yrs old this year and running into this problem now?? I need answers and my diploma for goodness sake. Can someone please, please help me? I have bills and taking care of my elderly mother. I have always been employed and now I'm not. I went to Cosmopolitan Prep School in Chicago, IL.. I would appreciate any help you can provide.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 22, 2016, 11:34 AM
    I'm somewhat surprised your new workplace needs your diploma. Aren't your years of employment enough? Did the IL board of ed give you any ideas on what to do? Lots of questions, and will add more as an answer unfolds. Call the phone number ebaines gave in the other thread about Cosmopolitan.

Feb 22, 2016, 12:11 PM
    I would think years of employment would've been sufficient as well, but I guess not. I spoke with someone at the number ebaines provided and was told she get a lot of calls for the same request from same school but nothing they can do. They do not hold any of cosmopolitan records due to not filling out paperwork to register with the state. She also stated that if I have a physical copy that it would mean nothing due to not being accredited. I spent a lot of money for this. Yes I would think with all of my years of being employed, mostly management positions with huge companies, even worked for the city of Chicago would be proof itself. I guess I was wrong. This is the first time that I was asked for this since I was in my 20's.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2016, 01:37 PM
    This is really odd. I've worked for over 7 employers since 1981 when I graduated college. And I don't remember having to PROVE I attended any school much less graduated from it since my first job out of college. And that was 35 years ago, And ALL of my jobs have been ones requiring advanced technical knowledge. Every one has cared only about what I know now and what type of work have I done previously.

Because after a few years...what school you attended and what grades you got become meaningless since no school fully prepares you for any job, but they do give you a basic foundation to build on and to learn more...there is always a steep learning curve once you leave school.

Feb 22, 2016, 02:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    This is really odd. I've worked for over 7 employers since 1981 when I graduated college. And I don't remember having to PROVE I attended any school much less graduated from it since my first job out of college. And that was 35 years ago, And ALL of my jobs have been ones requiring advanced technical knowledge. Every one has cared only about what I know now and what type of work have I done previously.

Because after a few years...what school you attended and what grades you got become meaningless since no school fully prepares you for any job, but they do give you a basic foundation to build on and to learn more...there is always a steep learning curve once you leave school.

I totally agree smoothy. This is the first time that I have been asked for a hard copy of my diploma since I graduated from this school. I have always held very good stable paying jobs since 1884 up until now. I finished out my 2 weeks notice with prior company because I was hired with company that has extended offer to me. Everything went through except physical verification of H.S diploma and now I'm unemployed. I am in total disbelief right now considering I was offered this position based off my background and experience. It's been 32 years. I just don't know what to do now. I appreciate any information I can get. I've worked hard all of my life until now. I am not married meaning there's no other income in my home. My bills will not stop and now I'm afraid I will not be able to keep a roof over my head. This is unreal.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2016, 02:50 PM
    Your Prep school wasn't a Medical school... was it? How a HS makes a difference at this point bewilders me... if the school was some sort of a Post HS medical school of ANY type... then it might make more sense to me... because of certifications etc...

This is a long shot...but have you tried to contact any of your previous employers...ones you might have supplied a copy of this to? Even if you reimburse them for their time if they DO still maintain copies of your old employee records in some form.

In my Field Electronics/Telecom/Technology, there were Specialized accredited schools (doing only ONE program) that offered Degrees transferable to most Universities, then there were those that didn't and offered only Diplomas or certificates. I knew a number of people that Graduated from several of those...I went to one that was accredited and offered a degree, transferred mine to a University and continued on to my next level while I worked in the field.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 22, 2016, 07:37 PM
    The issue is this. It is not that a school is "illegal" they are just not accredited.

Most correspondence and online high schools, even today, are not accredited by the US Department of Education. Many places of work, accept them, just as they do home school education, but they are not accepted as a high school education for university and many businesses also do not accept them.

Even if you get records or transcripts from them, (if they are open now) those have little value.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Get transcripts from cosmopolitan prep school [ 1 Answers ]

I got my diploma at cosmopolitan in 99. When I enrolled in school for college classes they told me my diploma is worthless. Now I'm suppose to go get a ged or not go back. This is bs, want my money or transcripts.

Is Cosmopolitan liable? [ 3 Answers ]

Until he set up his own computer business, William was the company secretary of Cosmopolitan Holdings and Investments Ltd. On 10 January 2009, Arthur, managing Director of Cosmopolitan invited William to sell office equipment worth $100,000 to the Company. 'I used to work for Cosmopolitan,' said...

Is the sex and relationship information in Cosmopolitan Magazine trustable? [ 12 Answers ]

Does anybody here read cosmo magazine? It has a lot of advice about sex and relationships.. But do you think it's actually true ? (If you read this magazine) Do you think some of the stories are a bit fake?

Crown Prep [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had crown prep work done for my two front teeth. A one piece temporary crown was put in place until the permanent crowns can be placed. It has been one week and the gums cannot grow back together between the two fron teeth due to the temporary so I have a gum flap in the front and...

View more questions Search