Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chickeroo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2005, 10:01 PM
    Generic ink cartridges
    Do generic ink cartridges harm a printer --Lexmark-- and if so how? I had used them successfully in the past, but this time one of them doesn't work. The black doesn't print. Have I damaged the printer? Is there anything I can do?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2005, 02:41 AM
    For a Lexmark printer you'll be fine. Lexmark printers have their print heads on the cartridges I believe, so replacing the cartridge should just fix any problems. Just take a quick look at the PC to see if there is any dry ink etc. that you can wipe away with a dry cloth.

As for the non-Lemark cartridges, this is the kind of chance you take when you buy them. I also buy the refilled cartridges and do hit the occasionally dodgy one. Basically - you get what you pay for in this world.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2005, 08:05 AM
    Lexmark
    Hi,
    I use generic cartridges for my new Epson Photo Stylus, as do many friends.
    The cheapest ones we have found are at:

http://www.printpal.com

If you visit the above site, check out Lexmark. The newer Lexmark printers have now changed. They have built-in, engineered, sensors that will not let any cartridges be used except the manufacturer's (Lexmark) cartridges.

If Lexmark has gone to all the expense of changing their design, then Generic cartridges are widely used!

Just for information:
    If you wish to add or subtract from an Experts' reputation, or show appreciation or discontent with an answer, click on the "balance scales" icon by the Experts' name. You can then choose what you wish.

Best wishes,
    fredg
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2005, 12:54 AM
    Generic cartridges will do fine, I've used them in my old z32 and they worked very well.
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Mar 17, 2005, 11:35 PM
    For epson printers and others with the heads not on the cartridge I strongly recommend you only use the genuine ink. These types of printers can be permanently damaged.

For anyone using generic ink: First thing is you can void your warranty. Also your colors may not look the same, The inks may fade faster, The inks may dry differently, and more. You may think the way the ink drys doesn't matter, but this can cause bleeding and with printers that have presets for various media types (ie. Glossy, Plain, Transparency, etc) When you try to print with these settings the printer is not expecting the drying time of the generic ink. This can cause the printout to use more or less ink than needed, very long drying times, fuzzy edges, etc. My boss used generic ink and he learned his lesson when his photos turned green in just 2 months!

Just some truth about generic ink. Don't believe everything the generic brands claim and on the same note, don't believe everything the manufacturers tell you. However with the ink, I have witnessed these issues and they are true.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2005, 01:49 AM
    That's why I only mostly use black for generics. Now colored ones may be bad. But oh I have found out with most lexmarks. Sometimes they will read wrong
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2005, 05:05 AM
    Generic Ink Cartridges
    Hi,
    Opinions vary on Generic Ink Cartridges.
    Some are better than others.
    I have used them in both HP and Epson printers for 4 years; and have never had any problems with photos fading, etc.
    Others I know still use them, too.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 18, 2005, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    have never had any problems with photos fading, etc.
    Just a point here. Most printer manufacturers guarantee 70 or more years fade resistance on their own inks when used with their own papers. So saying photos don't fade after 4 years doesn't really prove much. It also matters where the photos are stored.

My opinion on generic inkjet cartridges is that the cost savings do not outweigh the risks to the equipment.
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Mar 18, 2005, 10:38 PM
    Also just because you found the right combination doesn't mean others will.

I don't care if you recommend generic carts to someone. I'm against generic carts because I have seen the stuff that can happen. But I do ask that if you are going to recommend Generic carts or refills then I recommend you list the things that can happen if they decide to use them. The users here rely on our answers. Also, maybe lexmark makes it harder to use generic because they are tired of all the support calls and warranty abuse because their users aren't using the approved product.

Good luck, Just tell both sides of the story.
    nnicko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2005, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Just a point here. Most printer manufacturers guarantee 70 or more years fade resistance on their own inks when used with their own papers. So saying photos don't fade after 4 years doesn't really prove much. It also matters where the photos are stored.

My personal opinion on generic inkjet cartridges is that the cost savings do not outweigh the risks to the equipment.
    I certainly won't be around in 70 years and probably not my daughters (unless they live to 100+) so who cares? I've been using generic inks in my last four Epson printers with ABSOLUTELY no problems whatsoever. And the money I've saved is BIG. I recently bought a $300 Canon PIXMA MP780 multi-fucntion printer and when my ink runs out it's "Hi Ho Hi Ho, it's off to the generic store I go".

As far as using generic inks voiding your warranty go to this site

http://www.fjaproducts.com/common/fa...ai194&popup=N&

And you'll see this:

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act
    United States Code Annotated
    Title 15 Commerce and Trade
    Chapter 50 Consumer Product Warranties 15 Section 2302
    No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the commission if:
    1. The warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
    2. The Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.
    What does this mean for you?
    This simply means that the manufacturer of the machine you are using cannot void the warranty because you use supplies and products manufactured by a third party manufacturer, UNLESS they provide those supplies to you at no cost...

P.S. You cannot buy generic ink for some printers (most notably HP). All the printer companies sell many of their models cheap (probably below cost) because they know that if you buy their ink they'll get their money back tenfold.

P.P.S. HP makes good products but their support is expensive and it sucks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 2, 2005, 05:52 AM
    nnicko,
    As I have said, some people have had no problems with generic inks, others have.

The point about 4 years vs 70 years is to show that the ink is clearly of inferior quality if they can only guaranteed a fraction of what the others guarantee.

As for the warranty issue. The info you cited is interesting, but I know of no court tests that uphold it.

Actutally you can buy generic ink carts for HP. You can also use refill kits. And you are correct that manufacturers don't make money on printers. They make them on the consumables. The same is true of stores. But that's not restricted to printers. There are several products where the real money is made on the consumables.

I'm wondering what experience you have with HP tech support. You get 1 year of toll/fee free tech support with HP. After that you can use e-mail support for free. The times I have had to use their support, I've always found the techs to be lnowledgable and helpful. For example. I have a 3 port print server that I've had for several years. I changed my network setup and had a problem getting it to work. I called HP's toll free line and got a reference to where on their website to find the help I needed. I've had other occasions to use their e-mail support and got prompt replies with the info I needed to fix the problem.

This isn't to mean that their tech support is great. Any tech support service has its ups and downs. But to make general statements one way or the other without some proof is wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Generic Ink to suit a Lexmark Printer [ 5 Answers ]

Could anybody advise me on the cheapest effective option for generic ink to suit a Lexmark P3150 printer. Thanks

Problem with generic ink cartriges. [ 2 Answers ]

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 830 printer and for some time I have been using generic ink cartridges in it without any problems. When I install the generic cartridge, I get a message that is is not an original and I am asked whether I still want to use it. I opt for "yes" and it works OK. But...

Payables-Generic ? [ 2 Answers ]

:'( When the month end trial balance is done, shouldn't the payables, (such as wages payable) be cleared to 0??

View more questions Search