Penguin 1953 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2016, 08:01 PM
    Can u throw your adult alcoholic son out of your house in nyc
    My son is an alcoholic. He gets loud nasty verbally abusive
    Can I legallythrow him out of the house in nyc
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2016, 09:30 PM
    We'd really need more information to give you the best possible answer. Is he a tenant? Is there a lease agreement? How long has he lived there if not? Is he a minor? Have police been involved?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2016, 10:39 PM
    You can not just throw anyone out of a house.

You can tell him to get out, and he may just leave, if he does not leave, you will have to evict him though the courts.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 17, 2016, 06:24 AM
    There is a process to legally evict him so the answer is YES. That may take time though, but the quickest way to get him out is to call a cop when he gets loud, nasty, and abusive, and let his drunk arse be dealt with by the legal system immediately. Often that's the most effective way to deal with an alcoholic through the court system, so he can get help whether he wants it or not.

That and a restraining order to keep him out. That beats months of legal wrangling, and only requires a phone call and the courage to follow through.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 17, 2016, 06:43 AM
    This is a hard one. Unless there is a lease agreement and he pays rent, he isn't a tenant. But if he has lived there long enough as an adult, he may be considered a resident which gives him rights similar to a tenant.

If he becomes abusive, you can ask him to leave. If he refuses you may have to call the police to remove him. But if he wants to return when sober, you would probably have to let him. If you want him permanently removed as a resident, you will need to formally evice him or get a restraining order against him.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Feb 17, 2016, 07:04 AM
    It is a shame the "Wheels of Justice" turn so slowly. This being one of them. Sometimes people get hurt during these "Politically Correct" times. Don't put up with threats or bodily harm, protect yourself with a "Restraining Order", if necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alcoholic adult son [ 5 Answers ]

All answers have their merit, but each siuation is unique. My son ,age 54, is an alcoholic, He spent 2 years in prison for DUI's, and relaesed almost 2 years ago. Against my better judgement, I brought him to live with me since he has been foresaken by everyone else. Not the best choice, but...

Alcoholic adult son and daughter. [ 2 Answers ]

My oldest adult son and daughter are terrible alcoholics. (Their younger brother is not, thank the Lord). They're making our lives a living hell. My husband and I have never touched alcohol and nobody else has in our families. Where is this coming from? Does anyone relate?

Dealing with adult alcoholic son [ 26 Answers ]

My alcoholic son is presently serving time in jail for dui and probation violation. He is 37 and has been through several rehab programs over the past 20 years with family encouragement, love and support but with no success. His sister and I have decided not to contact him this time and see if he...

How to deal with a adult son a 22 year old who is an alcoholic and a drug addict [ 19 Answers ]

My son is 22 years old and is addicted to alcohol and drugs. My husband and myself have tried every which way to help him we even tried him in a rehab.He is in trouble with the law because of his habit and he knows he has couple court dates coming up but he still continues with his habits.My...

My son is an adult alcoholic, what do I do [ 3 Answers ]

My son is a very smart , handsome and charismatic young man of 32 who has worked for our family business as he did not finish college and has drifted since he graduated high school. He has no girl friend but is the most friendliest guy you could meet. He has had trouble for at least 10 years and...

View more questions Search