Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akf_ngu Posts: 29, Reputation: 4

Feb 9, 2016, 07:17 AM
    Regression after large move?
    So Angel, a 4 year old 10lb poodle, is having some behavior changes. Its like she is regressing as a human child would. We just moved across the country a few months ago. We are living in a hotel at the moment.

Over the last month she has pooped inside. She has purposely ignored commands that she has known since she was a puppy. She is trash digging. And even being deceptive (waiting for me to go to sleep before getting up and trash digging, Ive tested lol by pretending to be asleep. She makes extra sure I am not awake anymore before trash digging)

Is this because of the move? The climate change? (Phoenix az to Maine)

She still seems happy, healthy. She eats, obviously poops lol. She pees. She runs around with my daughter outside and enjoys it. She loves her baths still.

She had some fleas last month when we stayed at an infested hotel, but I got rid of them quickly.

I cant think of anything else that may have changed to cause her behavior.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 9, 2016, 08:04 AM
    Changing any animal's environment is HUGE and requires adjustments, and often reinforcement. How many more hotels do you have to stay in, or how long before you reach a permanent residence?

Feb 9, 2016, 09:23 AM
    We will be staying in this one until I get housing. It could take another few weeks, up to a few months. But it won't be longer than that. I am adjusting her day as much as I can. And of course I never let behavior slide, but I also am trying not to be too hard on her. (much like my own human daughter lol. But she was able to adjust and adapt much quicker)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 9, 2016, 10:09 AM
    Isn't this your daughter's service animal?

Have you changed what you are feeding her or the amount?

Treat the dog like she is a pup. Reinforce her training and do not let her get away with not obeying. Even during play, reinforce the commands.

Was the pooping in the room one time or multiple times?

Put the trash can where she can not get into it.

Is she crate trained? Does she have a crate?

Do not go soft on her. It will only confuse her and make the issues worse.

Feb 9, 2016, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Isn't this your daughter's service animal?

Have you changed what you are feeding her or the amount?

Treat the dog like she is a pup. Reinforce her training and do not let her get away with not obeying. Even during play, reinforce the commands.

Was the pooping in the room one time or multiple times?

Put the trash can where she can not get into it.

Is she crate trained? Does she have a crate?

Do not go soft on her. It will only confuse her and make the issues worse.
    Hi Cat.
    Yes its her Service Dog.
    We haven't changed her food at all. Though her activity is a little lower than it was before, because we have been snowed in a couple times so its hard to let the little thing out in the cold for long. (which in hind sight, I wonder if she worries "when will I get out again" even though we get her outside several times a day. Perhaps we should go back to the every hour deal)

The pooping has happened twice, and both times she went out of her way to go into the bathroom. I don't know if its because she is smart enough to know that is where we go, or if she just felt more comfortable there, or maybe she knows the carpet is a no no lol.

I did start putting the trash up, lol less heartache that way.

She is crate trained, but we don't have her crate anymore, we had to leave it behind (with quite a bit of our things as well) to fit everything on the plane. I am going to get her a new crate asap but it's a bitter sweet thing, because she sleeps with Ayla and I will hate to take that time away.

Thank you. I will go back to puppy training and stay on top of it.

Feb 17, 2016, 08:04 AM
    Just updating, after increasing her outside time and reinforcing the behavior as if she is a baby again, she has made progress. :) no more accidents inside. She is still looking for opportunities to trash dig. But its not as bad as it was.

Thank you everyone for the advice :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regression line [ 3 Answers ]

I'm suppose to compute the regression line for a set of raw data. My teacher only gave me the mean education level = 12, the mean of happiness = 9, the standard deviation of education = 3, and the standard deviation happiness = 2.5. I'm so confused on what to do.

Regression? Can happen [ 2 Answers ]

I know everyone is different so if you don't believe like I do please don't insult me or anything but how can see or re experience or remember my past life if I have one?

What rats move very large pieces of bait? [ 4 Answers ]

Has anyone heard of rats under ahouse moving large chunks of bait through a heating duct to the bottom of a heating register? When the duct guys cleaned our house today because. Of rat problem they found a large pile of uneaten bait in the register. It was put down a eek ago to catch rats under our...

View more questions Search