Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ThaliaC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2016, 04:20 PM
    Depreciation
    1. Brown purchased Machinery for $$200,000 on January 1 2012 and started depreciating it over five years. Residual value was taken as $20,000.
    At January 1 2015 a review of asset lives was undertaken and the remaining useful life was estimated at eight years. Residual value was estimated as nil.
    Calculate the depreciation charge for the year ended, 31 December, 2015 and subsequent years. Show the ledger entries for the assets and the accumulated depreciation accounts for the number of years.

1. Brown purchased Machinery for $$200,000 on January 1 2012 and started depreciating it over five years. Residual value was taken as $20,000.
    At January 1 2015 a review of asset lives was undertaken and the remaining useful life was estimated at eight years. Residual value was estimated as nil.
    Calculate the depreciation charge for the year ended, 31 December, 2015 and subsequent years. Show the ledger entries for the assets and the accumulated depreciation accounts for the number of years.

Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 8, 2016, 04:25 PM
    What do YOU think ?
    While we're happy to HELP we wont do all the work for you.
    Show us what you have done and where you are having problems..
    ThaliaC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2016, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    What do YOU think ?
    While we're happy to HELP we wont do all the work for you.
    Show us what you have done and where you are having problems..
    (200,000-20,000)/5 yrs=36,000

200,000-36,000 times 1=164,000

164000-nil/8yrs=20,500

my problem is I don't know how to put it in journal entry as the question asks.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2016, 09:14 PM
    You debit depreciation expense and credit accumulated depreciation, you repeat this at each balance date, and then when the useful life is reaccessed you take the balance, adjust the residual value, a divide it by the remaining years and make the remaining entries.

Accountant's need analyitical skills, so you need to learn to analyse the question because part of your answer is incorrect. Your understanding is not enhanced by repeating the question three times

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accumulated Depreciation & Depreciation Expense Accounts [ 1 Answers ]

For the trial balance I don't know if I should enter any values under the accumulated depreciation and depreciation expense accounts. Here are two of the transactions: May 2: Night purchased a surround sound system and big screen TV with a digital satellite system for the guest lounge. The...

Compute the annual depreciation cost using the straight-line method of depreciation. [ 3 Answers ]

On January 1, 2007, Kenyan Company had Notes Receivable of $11,000. The note receivable is from Brennan Company. It is a 4-month, 9% note dated December 31, 2006. During the year the following selected transactions occurred (Kenyan Company uses a periodic inventory system.). Jan. 5 Sold...

What is the first entry of depreciation when we charged depreciation on fixed assest? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the first entry of depreciation when we charged depreciation on fixed assest?

Beggening book value 2450.00 depreciation rate 40% what is the annual depreciation? [ 1 Answers ]

My beginning book value is 2,450.00 my depreciation rate is 40% what is my annual depreciation?

View more questions Search