Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maggie Woodard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2016, 09:54 AM
    Why is my dog constantly hungry even after he is fed properly
    I have a Labrador Retriever, he is 12 years old, recently we had relocated to a different home, where there is other animals. Although he is treated fairly and equally and fed fairly and equally, he still displaying hunger as if he was starving. How can I resolve this issue
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 4, 2016, 01:52 PM
    Sounds like an anxiety issue rather than hunger. When a pack animal is thrown into a larger pack, hoarding food and gobbling will keep him from starving if they turn on him. He will have to find his place in the pack order before he relaxes.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 4, 2016, 02:52 PM
    Maggie, how old are the other dogs? If they are far more younger then he, it is a pack issue. You are the alpha of the pack and should make sure he does not have issues. Feed him first so he can dominate.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 7, 2016, 03:25 PM
    Cats hit it on the head.

I have to disagree with Tickle though. Do not feed him first, otherwise you'll be dealing with dominance issues, including food aggression. Not a good idea.

For now I'd feed him separately from the other animals. Never feed him before you yourself have eaten, thus asserting your dominance, because the leader always eats first.

Make him work for his food, sit, stay, he doesn't eat until you tell him he can. Feed the other animals before him, once you feed them together, so that he knows he's not the dominant.

A dominant dog will have issues, food aggression, hoarding food, and then toys, and then affection, and so on. It's never a good idea to make the dog a dominant. You are the dominant, always!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 7, 2016, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Do not feed him first, otherwise you'll be dealing with dominance issues, including food aggression. Not a good idea.

For now I'd feed him separately from the other animals. Never feed him before you yourself have eaten, thus asserting your dominance, because the leader always eats first.

Make him work for his food, sit, stay, he doesn't eat until you tell him he can. Feed the other animals before him, once you feed them together, so that he knows he's not the dominant.

A dominant dog will have issues, food aggression, hoarding food, and then toys, and then affection, and so on. It's never a good idea to make the dog a dominant. You are the dominant, always!
    Not sure if that will work on a 12 year old. I like feeding equally and at the same time, but I do separate the food bowls. The human exercises the dominance by keeping each dog to their own food.

This lab may also be looking for attention to reassure himself in the new environment.
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

Feb 8, 2016, 11:48 AM
    " recently we had relocated to a different home, where there is other animals. "

If I have read this correctly the 12 ( 12 ) year old dog was the only dog before you relocated, now at this new locations the 12 year old is met by 2+ other dogs.

Now I don't know / you haven't said how dominant you were with 12 and really we could say anything to try and help , though without observing how you are around 12 we could make things worse.

I believe it's insecurity , though once again haven't observed.

That said 12 is showing signs of the mentality of food caching , just like the grey wolf , a dogs nearest wild relative, they are adapted to a feast-or-famine diet and can go many days without fresh prey.

Anyway “Most of the dogs I see act hungry because they have been reinforced for acting that way.” We give our dog treats , special when it's hard to resist those big brown dog eyes . This reinforces the food seeking behavior in the dog, so that it gets stronger in the dog. And since the dog eats, the owner feels that the dog really was hungry. It's an interesting cycle.” When other dogs are thrown into the mix, 12 decided to " displaying hunger as if he was starving. " That could be a cause here though I have not observed you around 12 so don't know.

Now I've read all posts above and I agree with parts of them. Do not feed him first specially when the other dogs are there , if you do then you will be showing 12, he is the dominant one, which I believe 12 is trying to achieve ( be the dominant one ).

When you walk 12 , does he pull forwards or walk at your side , 12 pulling forwards or walking in front of you can also show 12 is the dominant one , though like I said , haven't observed you and 12 so can't say if this is a problem or happened.

Yes use separate bowls for each dog , though make sure they are different colours , look etc. Feed them all at the same time , if need be get someone to help with this.

Until this is fixed , I would also fence 12 off when feeding from the others , though allow 12 to still see the other dogs , noting if this continues 12 could start taking the other dogs food.

I would also suggest dog courses for yourself if need be as we can say and give you many suggests though only experience for yourself will work in the end.

Also @ this post " . You are the alpha of the pack and should make sure he does not have issues. Feed him first so he can dominate.

I had to lol at this as it's incorrect , yes you are the Alpha of the pack , or should get 12 and the other dogs to see you as the Alpha of the pack , though no you don't feed 12 first. This action would negate the fact you are the Alpha and make 12 think he's the Alpha / Dominant one of the pack.

Here a good video to look at to ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpNCcgjaV20 ) Note = Your dog may not end up this bad , though be careful , you need to be sure your are the Alpha leader. Please take a look at the chair technique here , I've used it before and it may work for you , though once again haven't observed 12.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Female Dog Constantly Licking Genitals [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one year old, medium sized, mixed female dog. She's obsessed with licking her anus and her vagina. Sometimes one, sometimes the other. She doesn't skoot across the floor or have any gross discharges coming out of either of them. I'm unsure if she has a problem or if she is just doing it...

What causes a dog to gag constantly [ 5 Answers ]

My little Rat Terrier keeps gagging. Vet says to give her cough syrup but that is not helping. Does anyone else have this problem?

Dog is constantly wanting to be fed at night. [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is a 6 year old chihuahua/jack Russell rescue. We had her for 4 years now and over the past two years she began to wake up multiple times at night. She is scared of crates and will not go in one. She barks and wines unless we wake up and feed her. THis occurs at about 1:30 and 4:30 in...

JI Visa Holder Exempt for fed OASDI/EE Fed MED/EE ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am doing residency in psychiatry, currently in first year on J1 visa. My University is holding OASDI/EE and Fed MED/EE taxes from my salary, while my colleague who is also in first year and on J1 visa is not entitled to these taxes. What I have understood so far after searching for all...

I've fed my cat and dog the recalled food [ 1 Answers ]

I've been feeding my three cats a pouch of wet food every morning and same goes with my dog, I just found out last night on the news that I have been feeding them recalled pet food, I went on the website and sure enouph the pet food I have in my pantry is recalled. The pet store won't...

View more questions Search