Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tanyadouglas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2016, 11:33 AM
    Do I have to give my ex half of my tax return
    During my divorce my ex-husband asked the judge if he gets half my taxes and the judge agreed to it. My ex hasn't worked for 8 years and we had no lawyers so when I filled out the final divorce decree I didn't put it in as him getting any of my taxes and he refused to sign off on the final decree but the judge did. So do I have to split my taxes with him.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 3, 2016, 12:34 PM
    If the judge added it, and signed it yes, you have to give him half your tax return. You didn't think you could leave it out after the judge said he would allow it did you? Maybe that's a small price to pay to get a divorce from him.

Hope the judge specified only for this years taxes.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 3, 2016, 01:00 PM
    If the judge orally ordered that the decree provide that husband is to get half, but then the judge forgot what he had said and signed the decree (although it lacked the requisite language), husband should have moved to correct the decree. Since husband (apparently) didn't do so, it appears to me that you don't have to let your ex have any part of the tax refund.

You have made a common mistake, by the way: a tax return is the form you file with the IRS (and your state tax agency, if applicable); A tax refund is what you get back from the government.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 26, 2016, 05:38 PM
    I know that this is an old post, but you can always apply this years refund as a credit to next years taxes.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 27, 2016, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    I know that this is an old post, but you can always apply this years refund as a credit to next years taxes.
    Why did you post this here? It seems you have changed topics. If you're asking whether you can opt to to receive your federal 2015 tax refund in cash but instead apply it to your 2016 taxes the answer is yes. Be sure to keep good records so you don't forget about this credit when you do your 2016 taxes next year.
    hanerykroze Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2016, 11:30 PM
    You can sort this with your husband. If you want to give him the half tax then it is a good decision. Overall he was your ex husband.And it is the duty of both to help each other in future also.Else its your wish, but according to the judge you have to pay the half tax.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 10, 2016, 04:15 AM
    hanerykroze, welcome to the site, but every part of your response is all wrong. Please be careful, especially under Law.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 10, 2016, 04:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hanerykroze View Post
    You can sort this with your husband. If you want to give him the half tax then it is a good decision. Overall he was your ex husband.And it is the duty of both to help each other in future also.Else its your wish, but according to the judge you have to pay the half tax.

I will have to assume you are a teen or child. Men and women (or other partners that are in divorce, almost never "work things out" most lie, cheat and are full of hate. Divorce court and divorce settlements are done by lawyers and are very complex on what you must do by law. (not working things out)

Welcome to the site, but please answer according to reality.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to give my husband half of my 401k [ 3 Answers ]

My husband does not want to work have not in years and now I have had it I want to leaves him do I have to give him half of my 401k

Half the year on F1 status, other half on H1 status, what tax return do I file? [ 5 Answers ]

Half the year on F1 status, other half on H1 status, what tax return do I file? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Do I give up on getting my ex of 2 and half years back? [ 9 Answers ]

Hey, I am new to this whole thing, but I need some help. When I was 15 years old (almost 16), I started dating a guy. He was 18. We dated his last few months of high school. We dated the next 2 and a half years. This boy was my life. Everyone loved him, my family and my friends. He treated me...

How I can fill tax return wihtout my wife ITIN # and show her at my tax return [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a h1 visa holder living New York and my wife joined with me she has h4 visa When I fill this year tax return I want to get benefit how I can get ITIN # for her Yes I know about W-7 form but it's very confision Give me some info please step by step Thanks

Am I allowed half of his tax return? [ 2 Answers ]

My spouse and I have been separated for 3 months. I recently filed his tax return online for him, at his request, and he wanted it direct deposited into my account. He told me he would give me 600.00 of it, although he is getting 1800.00 back. Due to some very violent behavior a couple of days...

View more questions Search