Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lionfoxx Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2005, 02:34 PM
    Funny Red button on tub spout?
    The tub spout has a red button on the top of it, when I took it off I noticed some sort of valve in there where the one I bought to replace doesn't have that and of course the stem from the way is too short for the one I have now, I guess I can make a new pipe, but I was really wondering what that is for?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 7, 2005, 04:02 PM
    Funny Red button on tub spout?
    Quote Originally Posted by lionfoxx
    The tub spout has a red button on the top of it, when I took it off I noticed some sort of valve in there where the one I bought to replace doesnt have that and of course the stem from the way is too short for the one I have now, I guess I can make a new pipe, but I was really wondering what that is for?
    First I need to know the brand and model of the spout. Sounds like you bought one with a extra shower outlet. "The stem from the way", what does that mean? Why should you make a new pipe? For what? Now we both wonder what it's for. I'll wait to be enlightened. Tom

Mar 7, 2005, 09:03 PM
    Red button,
    The stem from the wall that screws in the tub spout is way to short. Since the old one has the red button on it, when I took it off inside the neck there is some sort of valve, the red button is some sort of pressing release to do what I don't know.

The new one doesn't have it nor did any at home depot I seen. The hardware is moen.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 8, 2005, 06:09 AM
    Red spot?
    The stem from the wall that screws in the tub spout is way to short. Since the old one has the red button on it, when I took it off inside the neck there is some sort of valve, the red button is some sort of pressing release to do what I don't know.

The new one doesnt have it nor did any at home depot I seen. The hardware is moen.
    You have bought the wrong spout. Check the internal threads on the old one and purchase one that has the same configuration. As for your "red spot" I haven't a clue. Never came across one like that in the past. Why are you changing spouts since they seldom go bad? Regards, Tom

Mar 8, 2005, 06:44 AM
    Changing because,
    This is in a house I just bought. We had to do some bath room and shower rentivation and I was going to change out the one in the tub/shower, the house has well water, hard and rusty, and they had an old cullgan softner that looks like it had been there since the house was built. I got a new water softner to help with the rust, but since I was changing the bathrooms around I wanted to replace this one in the bathroom. I wonder if I could take a picture of it and post it, no one I know has seen or heard of it, it looks like a regular tub spout,but with that red plastic button relief and the valve inside, the valve is what makes the new one not fit because the pipe coming from the wall is shorter.

Thanks for all the help.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 8, 2005, 06:51 AM
    Red Button
    This is in a house I just bought. We had to do some bath room and shower rentivation and I was going to change out the one in the tub/shower, the house has well water, hard and rusty, and they had an old cullgan softner that looks like it had been there since the house was built. I got a new water softner to help with the rust, but since I was changing the bathrooms around I wanted to replace this one in the bathroom. I wonder if I could take a picture of it and post it, no one I know has seen or heard of it, it looks like a regular tub spout,but with that red plastic button relief and the valve inside, the valve is what makes the new one not fit because the pipe coming from the wall is shorter.

Thanks for all the help.
    Yeah, I'd like to see it. Is there a brand name anywhere on it? What does the red button do when you press it? You may post on here or send it to
    [email protected]

Mar 8, 2005, 08:19 AM
    Button,
    Not sure what it is doing, its kind clogged up with rusty crap. The brand is Moen, I will try to get some good images of it and send/post them.

Thanks, LFX.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 8, 2005, 09:55 AM
    Red Button
    Not sure what it is doing, its kind clogged up with rusty crap. The brand is Moen, I will try to get some good images of it and send/post them.

Thanks, LFX.
    I checked all 36 tub spouts that Moen has on their web site and could find nothing with a red button. However I'm very curious about its function. Cheers, Tom

Mar 24, 2005, 07:55 PM
    I got pics of the spout and Red button, do who wants them?
    Ok, I got pics, can I post them here or email them to anyone, they are of the red button on the tub spout I took off.

Thanks, LFx.

Mar 24, 2005, 08:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    I checked all 36 tub spouts that Moen has on their web site and could find nothing with a red button. However I'm very curious about its function. Cheers, Tom

I emailed them to you address, let me know if you got them.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 25, 2005, 02:08 PM
    I emailed them to you address, let me know if you got them.
    I got your pictures and still can't figure out what it does. I E-mailed Moen and asked for specs. When I get some answers I'll be back. Cheers Tom

Mar 25, 2005, 09:41 PM
    I already contacted Moen,
    I had contacted them a while ago and they asked for pix too, So I sent the same ones I emailed you. They responed they didn't believe it to be Moen. Only thing I can thing is someone replaced the shower valve, and could not figure out what the spout was or could not correct the spacing of the copper pipe because I initially could not get that little stem off the pipe, it has a small hex screw that I didn't not see, and upon measuring with it purturding out wall it was almost impossible to replace spout with out tearing apart wall to put in a new pipe, so I think maybe someone previous as I didn't know how to get that short stubb off and my have left it on, and possibly it is older than I thought and not Moen as the rest of the tub/shower stuff was.

Odd looking thing, now you know I wasn't crazy. LOL
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 26, 2005, 06:52 AM
    I had contacted them a while ago and they asked for pix too, So I sent the same ones I emailed you. They responed they didnt believe it to be Moen. Only thing I can thing is someone replaced the shower valve, and could not figure out what the spout was or could not correct the spacing of the copper pipe because I initially could not get that little stem off the pipe, it has a small hex screw that I didnt not see, and upon measuring with it purturding out wall it was almost impossible to replace spout with out tearing apart wall to put in a new pipe, so I think maybe someone previous as I didnt know how to get that short stubb off and my have left it on, and quite possibly it is older than I thought and not Moen as the rest of the tub/shower stuff was.

Odd looking thing, now you know I wasnt crazy. LOL

Moen contacted me. ( Thank you for your recent E-mail inquiry. We appreciate your interest and support of Moen products and services.
    We recently had a customer send us in pictures of a tub spout with a red and blue button on the top. Unfortunately it is not ours. None of our tub spouts have a color button on top.)
    It's not their spout. Some one changed the valve and left the old spout. Never saw a spout like that but I sure wish I could have found out what it was for. How far out of the wall does the copper pipe stick out? Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bath tub spout [ 23 Answers ]

I replaced my bath faucet and now am struggling (to say the least) to get the tub spout to not leak. It is a brand new spout that come with the faucet. A delta faucet. I cannot get the spout to not leak. I did the directions to a T and for whatever reason the spout keeps leaking through the...

Can't remove old tub spout [ 4 Answers ]

My shower dribbles and has no pressure. I know I need to replace the tub spout, I bought a universal, but, I can't et the old one loose! Any suggestions? Thank you!

2" Tub Spout [ 1 Answers ]

I took off an old tub spout to replace it - it was then that I discovered that it was a 2" inlet.... No one seems to selll these anymore... any suggestions on where to find one? I reall don't care what it looks like as long as it is functional- we are going to re-do the bathroom someday and will...

Need help replacing tub spout [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, my husband and I are not the handiest people in the world. We needed to replace a tub spout with diverter, as water was not coming out of the shower head. We bought a universal tub spout with diverter, the kind with a thread screw and retainer ring. We followed the directions to a T, and...

View more questions Search