Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KongTheKonqueror Posts: 75, Reputation: 13

Apr 12, 2007, 10:28 PM
    Where to go?
    I am in my mid 20’s and currently go to my parent’s Baptist church. I mostly go because they go there and really don’t feel like I get anything out of it. It is very conservative and most of the members support a very literal translation of the Bible.

I really don’t believe in a literal translation of the Bible and do not think it should be used as a science book to explain why the world is the way it is. I agree with the big bang theory and the theory of evolution but I also believe that these were “tools” used by God to create the world we live in today. Both theories follow the same sequence of events as described in the Bible but that is another topic.

I am just trying to found a denomination where I would better fit in and be around members who share similar and less conservative beliefs. I would also prefer a denomination where I could have a few drinks on the weekend without being told I am going to Hell. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 11:02 PM
    Some of the more liberal denomination would include: Unitarian Universalists (Sometimes called Unitarian Society), Disciples of Christ, United Church of Christ and even some Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, or ELCA denominations. Some non-denominational churches might fit in also. Frequently, they will have music and a worship style that they like to call contemporary in order to make younger persons feel as though they belong to the group. These are the first ones that come to my mind. I am sure that there are other ones that members of this site know of. You would need to do some shopping around, though.

What you get out of a worship or religious experience many times also depends on what you give into it.

If you believe in God, then I am sure that you know that there are two sides to every story, frequently very vocal sides. So, it is best to take a look at all of the evidence from reliable sources to form your conclusions concerning life, death, evolution and the Bible. Personally, it has taken me many years to find the Christian denomination with which I was most comfortable, felt at home, and that I thought reflected the way, truth and life.

No one dies with the realization of what someone else is experiencing at the moment of their death. We all die alone. I am glad that you are seeking out something and hope that you do lots of reading and inquiring of others concerning what and why they believe the way that they do.

By the way, great name that you chose for yourself!
    KongTheKonqueror Posts: 75, Reputation: 13

Apr 13, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Thank you for your answers. The ideas you suggested provide a great place for me to begin deeper research and really helped to narrow down a large number of choices to a few. It will be a long journey but you have provided me with some starting points and hopefully I will find what I am looking for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search