Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccstelmo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2016, 04:06 PM
    Muriatic acid and brass
    I am a beginning amateur rifle cartridge re-loader. Properly reloaded cartridges can be used up to 8 or 10 times The first step in reloading is to clean the brass cases. This is usually done in a tumbler with a mildly abrasive organic (corn cob) media. I want to do it with muriatic acid but mentors on the chatroom forum say it'll weaken the cases by removing material from the inside and outside diameters. These guys are experienced about all things "guns" and therefor credible, but I don't necessarily trust their knowledge of chemistry. What do you think? We are dealing with pressures of upward of 65000 psi.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 30, 2016, 04:42 PM
    IS that pressure correct ??
    Other than that, listen to those that know what they are doing..
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Jan 30, 2016, 05:00 PM
    Good Advice. Much more reliable than on this forum for this subject. If you are not satisfied contact Ammo. Companies.
    ccstelmo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2016, 05:38 PM
    Yes, that pressure is correct.

I figured this was a chemistry question not a ballistics question. That's why I came here.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 30, 2016, 05:39 PM
    Of all the safe easy ways to clean brass, why would you use the unsafest, most dangerous way? Over time it will RUIN the integrity of the zinc.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Jan 30, 2016, 06:55 PM
    Muratic Acid for cleaning brass? | Gun and Game

www.gunandgame.com › Forums › General › The Powder Keg

Dec 22, 2009 - 20 posts - ‎13 authors
    A brief exposure is unlikely to do any harm to the alloy. ... well, brass is an alloy of zinc and copper, zinc is reactive with HCl (muriatic acid), copper not so much. however, they're alloyed not ... Muriatic acid will fry your lungs

For what it is worth

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Muriatic acid down the pipes? [ 27 Answers ]

Our house was built in 1920 and is surrounded by trees, so we know there are sewer problems because of roots. My husband also thinks lime deposits in pipes inside the house are preventing free flow of liquids and wants to dump muriatic acid down the toilet, for instance. Is there a better solution...

Muriatic Acid [ 3 Answers ]

I have got muriatic acid to get rid of efflorescence in my concrete floor, so now I'm just wondering about a safe disposal method after I finish with what I need? Can I pour this down the drain?

Can the use of Muriatic acid change the color of my Bluestone sitwall? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to determine whether it was not mixed properly, left on to long or not rinsed off enough.

Muriatic acid [ 3 Answers ]

Can I use muriatic acid to clear my shower drain?

Muriatic acid [ 10 Answers ]

What does one do with 3 quarts unused from a gallon container (bought at Sears)? How long can the 3 quarts be stored safely in the plastic container?

View more questions Search