Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2016, 10:54 AM
    Periodic Tablet
    In the periodic table Platinum is 195.084 under solids.
    If you would weigh an ounce of Platinum on a scale
    Could you identify the metal just by the weight alone?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 29, 2016, 11:06 AM
    Trick question, as it would WEIGH an ounce...
    So no..
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2016, 12:30 PM
    Guess it depends on the scale. Elements I think have a atomic weight
    Thanks
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2016, 01:25 PM
    They do but its based differently... an ounce is an ounce no matter what you weigh. Balsa wood or lead. Because an ounce is a predefined weight, what will vary is the volume and density from one material to the next.
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2016, 01:57 PM
    If I gave you two pieces of metal. Lets say one was lead
    And the other was platinum. What would you do to find the identity.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 29, 2016, 02:15 PM
    This is now a better question. Obviously weight alone is not sufficient (like the old trick question for 5 -year olds: which weighs more, a pound of rocks or a pound of feathers?). But if you can measure the object's volume and its weight then you can calculate its density. If the choice is strictly between lead and platinum the platinum sample will have a higher density. Or you could measure its electrical conductivity - platinum is a good conductor whereas lead is not. Or test its hardness - Pb is relatively soft.
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2016, 02:20 PM
    There is also a modern shortcut... based on something I was part of a design team on back in 1993 (they existed before then...just not mid price range ones). Place a sample in a scanning electron microscope that's hooked to a mass spectrometer. Not as much to learn that way versus doing it the old fashioned way however. Not to mention very few people would have a clue where to even find one.
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2016, 03:11 PM
    Density . Almost like gold or silver are not magnetic metals.
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2016, 03:32 PM
    Density is unrelated to magnetic properties. There are both much less dense, and far more dense elements that are non-magnetic. In fact, (ebaines will correct me if I'm wrong). Of all of them, I believe only Iron has magnetic properties.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2016, 09:11 PM
    Iron, nickel, and cobalt are the three elements ferromagnetic at room temperature. Gadolinium and Dysprosium are ferromagnetic below room temperature.

Read the link
    The Golden Crown (Introduction)
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2016, 05:16 AM
    In conclusion would you said a density test would determine the identity of the solid element. Or perhaps a series of test. Since it seems that the atomic weight alone doesn't fulfill the identity requirement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have hisense sero 7 pro Android tablet how to upload pics from tablet to PC [ 1 Answers ]

Have Hisense sero 7 pro androild tablet. How do I upload my pics to PC. I have connected to windows 7 PC - went to picaso to import pics nothing happens. Thanks

I want a new tablet [ 1 Answers ]

Ive been thinking of getting a smart phone but I rather have something like my kindel but able to get on the internet wherever. Something with cell tech techbut at least 7" screen. Anything out there like that?

Tablet [ 1 Answers ]

I want to purchase a tablet for my elderly mother to use for skype only. It needs to be very simple. She does not use a computer or even send text messages. We are moving overseas and I want to be able to communicate with her. Which table do you recommend for skype only?

What is this tablet [ 2 Answers ]

A friend of mine is a DJ at a bar on Friday and Saturday nights, well last night someone put a tablet next to his DJ equipment and he has no clue what in the world it is. Only out of curiosity I want to know what it is - I work as a pharmacy technician and not even my pharmacist at work could...

View more questions Search