Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jander7539 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2016, 06:07 PM
    Doorbell Transformer Troubleshooting
    When I wired my doorbell transformer to a light in my basement I followed the instructions and wired the white wire to the neutral wire the black wire to the black wire of the power source and the ground wire to the ground in the light. However, the light that the transformer is wired to stays on very dimly when the switch to the light goes off. It appears some power is getting to the light. When I disconnect the white wire of the doorbell to the neutral wires in the box the lights will go completely off. I'm not sure else how to wire the transformer?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2016, 06:12 AM
    First of all... does the doorbell work whether the light is on or off?
    Are you sure you didn't wire it to a switch leg? It's possible that you wired the transformer across a switch leg.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot doorbell transformer [ 9 Answers ]

My doorbell stopped working. I tried replacing the transformer, but noticed it got very hot when I connected the wires that go to the chime. I even bought a second transformer and it is also getting very hot. The wires at the chime and to the door bell ringer are disconnected and hangling...

Doorbell [ 2 Answers ]

My nieghbours doorbell goes off when any type of remote is used i.e. car,garage door etc,how Do I fix it .By the way it is a doorman wireless bell

Doorbell transformer overheated [ 3 Answers ]

A few weeks ago, I came home to find my doorbell button stuck in, and the transformer was very hot. There was also a buzzing noise coming from the chime box. I unstuck the button and eventually the transformer cooled back down. Now, the button is lit up, but when you press it, the chime box...

Doorbell Transformer Location [ 4 Answers ]

I have a doorbell that is not working. I know it is the transformer - but I can't seem to locate the transformer in the house anywhere. It is not by the electrical panel either. How do I go about finding it? Thanks, carol

Doorbell troubleshooting [ 4 Answers ]

I just replaced a working push-button switch at the front of my home (there is a working rear switch as well). It was very old and unreliable. The new switch was a lighted switch. When first wired the light glows. When the button is depressed the light dims and the bell rings. The problem is...

View more questions Search