Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jpate34 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Do I file as a dependent?
    If my dad claimed me as a dependent, do I have to file as a dependent? I've heard yes and no which is the correct answer?
    KongTheKonqueror Posts: 75, Reputation: 13

Apr 12, 2007, 09:53 PM
    Yes. If you file your own taxes and are claimed as someone else's dependent, you must state so on your return. If you file as anything else, you will get a larger refund but within about a year you will get a nasty-o-gram from the IRS stating that they realized you were claimed twice. They will then want you to re-file your tax return and pay them the difference with interest.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Kong has it right! Listen to him!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dependent status [ 5 Answers ]

If a father does not pay child support and the child does not live with him at all during the year, is he allowed to claim him as a dependent on his taxes?

US Tax Filing - Dependent [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US in May'06. My wife & son were with me during the first half of 2006 in India. They both have valid visa to travel and will join me soon. Can I claim my son as dependent? Also can I file jointly with my spouse? Appreciate your answer

Dependent status [ 1 Answers ]

Can I claim my 21 yr old son ,he was a student for 6 months this year I pay his car note , car insurance and health insurance. But he. Made around 6200.00. He pays no rent or utilities.

Claiming a dependent [ 1 Answers ]

When filing taxes can two individuals claim the same dependent for 6 months each, if the dependent was in the household for six months.

Claim as Dependent? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1-B and my wife is on H4. My son is a US citizen who was born in 2004. My wife and kid were out of US for 11 and a half months visiting my country on a vacation. I have the following questions: 1. Can I still file with "Married Filling Jointly" status? 2. Can I still claim my...

View more questions Search