Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notcoolenough Posts: 95, Reputation: 7

Jan 26, 2016, 07:17 PM
    How To Buy "Warm" And "Cool" Acrylics For School
    Here is the deal. I am an Art NEW MEDIA Major, but I do have to deal with traditional art classes, that of which contain concepts and mediums kind of foreign to me including paints.

On my list of materials to buy, I need Acrylic (or gouache or tempera or a hybrid). I am forever broke and am in no way experienced with painting, so I am going with acrylic.

The professor has listed the warm and cool colors I need and some names that they may go by. She recommended JERRYARTARAMA because of their prices and convenience (all the names she listed are there), but 1. there are FAR cheaper paints elsewhere (screw quality I am freaking broke), and 2. my roommate has paints. It is just that they are not named the same.

I have googled things like "list of warm reds", but I just find philosophical debates about the impossibility of forming such a subjective list.

I'm unsure what to do here... do I just suck it up and spend all my money on a website because of simplicity? Do I just head over to Michaels and hopefully guess correctly? Do I buy from various other affordable websites and, again, hope I get the right colors?

I understand the argument of warm and cold being subjective. But I find it hard to believe I cant find a comparative list of color names. Why can't I look up FLAME RED and get a list of other similar warm reds that go by that name?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 27, 2016, 06:19 AM
    Did you talk to your instructor about alternatives and options, and advice? That's always a good first move.
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

Jan 27, 2016, 08:34 AM
    Unfortunately you will need to talk to your instructor for alternatives and advice / options.

Different companies can list their colours under different names.

Example

Guardsman Red , FilmPro Fire Red , Flame Red , Daredevil , Code Red , Buttered Rum , Barn Red , Clementine Orange , Clockwork Orange , Melon Orange , Style Pasifika Orange Wood , Orange Roughy , Burnished Orange.

The above are just a few of many red and orange colours I could choose from , from a company here.

So Like I said talk to the instructor.

Hope this helps.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 27, 2016, 03:09 PM
    Basic Art 101, refer to the COLOR WHEEL,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_wheel

A color wheel or color circle[1] is an abstract illustrative organization of color hues around a circle that shows relationships between primary colors, secondary colors, tertiary colors etc.
    Don't let brand names or prices throw you. To add black, white, brown are neutrals. The idea is mix and make your own hues.
    notcoolenough Posts: 95, Reputation: 7

Jan 27, 2016, 05:35 PM
    Yeah I talked to her and I learned a bit more on identifying the warm and cool colors. She seemed pretty open. Just as long as it isn't completely wrong. I will probably just go to Michaels. I think little bottles are like 66 cents.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 28, 2016, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by notcoolenough View Post
    Yeah I talked to her and I learned a bit more on identifying the warm and cool colors. She seemed pretty open. Just as long as it isn't completely wrong. I will probably just go to Michaels. I think little bottles are like 66 cents.
    I use acrylics, yes, go to Michaels. You can't go wrong there and you get good advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump blows cool air,then warm air, then cool air again [ 5 Answers ]

My heat pump comes on, blows cool air, then hot air, then back to cool air again. The unit also runs for days at a time without ever shutting off, thus causing my electric meter to be moving very fast, and running up my electric bill. It has been running now for 42 straight hours. What can...

Warm/Cool air is only coming out of my furnace. [ 6 Answers ]

Now that fall is here I tried to turn on my gas furnace. However it is only pushing out warm air. My boyfriend and I checked the fans, they appear to be working. We checked the pilot. That is working fine as well. Also per the light on my furnace everything is working normally. Is there any...

First warm, later cool air [ 1 Answers ]

From an email: ''Dear Labman, You seem to give really intelligent answers on the website I just found on heating problems. Can you help me?. here is the problem as I described it. Thanks in advance for any knowledge you might share. Hoping for help here. I recently had my ignitor...

Cool shower, warm faucet [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, My shower this morning was very cool, but the water temp to other faucets in the house seemed normal. Any idea why the shower was so cool? Thanks

View more questions Search