Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Jan 24, 2016, 05:56 PM
    Cover popcorn ceiling with bead board panels
    I have popcorn ceilings throughout the first floor of my house. We want to get rid of them but do not want to go through the mess and hassle of removing the old ceiling and putting up new drywall. We've also considered scraping off but there is at least 2 layers of wall paper under it (it's a nightmare). Another option would be putting half inch drywall directly over but the ceiling is already pretty low and muddling and taping etc would be a mess with small kids in the house. Another option we were looking at is covering with 4x8 sheets of breadboard. I've read about other people doing this but my concern is how would you hide the seams between the tops and bottoms of the boards short of covering them with some type of mounding. The sides are tongue and groove so no issue there. Wanted to see if anyone had any ideas... Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 24, 2016, 07:04 PM
    Suggest you try removing the popcorn texture.
    Put down a drop cloth. Spray a small section of the ceiling with water in a garden sprayer. Wet the texture. Let it sit for a short period so the water can soak in. Scrap with a putty knife. A messy, tedious job but probably less work than installing another surface.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 24, 2016, 08:06 PM
    Check these videos out starting with this one.

replace a popcorn ceiling - Bing video

Read this for the sake of safety,

http://asbestosremovalcost.org/popcorn-ceiling-removal/

http://www.ehow.com/how_6006326_test...n-ceiling.html

http://www.american-apartment-owners...tain-asbestos/

At least weigh all the facts before you make a decision. A professional would wear the proper safety gear, paper suite, gloves, goggles, and respirator, all cheap at Home Depot, if indeed you make this a do it yourself project.

Be safe and good luck.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2016, 09:18 PM
    No way to hide the seams with 4X8 sheets. You can get strip bead but $$$$. Remove the pop corn.
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Jan 25, 2016, 09:14 PM
    Thanks for your responses. I know there's at least one layer of wall paper under the popcorn from when I had to cut a section out to repair a leaking drain pipe from the upstairs bathroom. With the wallpaper and the asbestos risk, I'd really rather just put something over it. I considered the strip bead but, as mentioned, the price would be way too high... Which is why I was considering the 4x8 sheets.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 26, 2016, 04:20 AM
    Wallpaper comes off with vinegar or fabric softener as easy as a popcorn ceiling and water. Asbestos can easily be verified by a test, and the risk just by the use of cheap safety equipment... if needed. I think you would be happier with the results of stripping your ceiling rather than covering it with 4x8 sheets.

May I suggest you make a list of all that's needed for you to achieve your desired outcome? 4x8 sheets to cover your ceiling sounds easy, but unless you have a nail gun and a couple of ladders and a few extra hands it's quite a job. Covering those seams is also an issue. Read this article and get some ideas, about planning a project like this and send a sample to a lab as my link suggested then you will have FACTS to help your PLANNING.

Young House Love | Planking Our Former Sunroom's Ceiling

Researching and planning a project often leads you to options and alternatives to consider that you may not know you had, and lets you understand the COSTS as well as the LABOR. Getting 3 estimates costs NOTHING, but it does get you in touch with professionals that you can question to your hearts content, and get FACTS, IDEAS, and OPTIONS to consider what works best for YOU.

I go with strip and paint if getting rid of the popcorn and wallpaper is your immediate goal. The rest can be worked out as you gather ideas or... MONEY.

Pick ONE room and see what you get.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cordova-C...rd=paper+suits

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Har...s/N-5yc1vZc25k

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Popcorn ceiling asbestos [ 1 Answers ]

I read online that I could tell if popcorn ceiling was made with asbestos by soaking a sample of it in hot water. If, once the texture material is washed off, the material is white or brown then it is styrofoam or plastic and it is safe. if the remaining material is a light grey color and...

Removal of popcorn ceiling [ 6 Answers ]

How do I remove popcorn ceiling from a kitchen ceiling? I was told there may be asbestos in it and that it needs to be removed.

Asbestos in popcorn ceiling? [ 9 Answers ]

Wife wants me to remove popcorn ceiling from our 1956 ranch. Have heard that from this era it may contain asbestos. Have worked with all sorts of nasty stuff and I know usually dangers with stuff like this is usually repeated, long term exposure. Breathe in enough sand or grain dust over time...

How do I clean the popcorn ceiling in my apartment? [ 4 Answers ]

I don't want to remove it, as I don't own my apartment. I just want to clean all the dirt near the ceiling fan.

Popcorn Ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

The popcorn ceilingin my family room blisters, splits and then rains drywall particles on the floor. The sheetrock is OK, but the "paper" separates and hangs in 3" inch sheets from the ceiling. What would cause this? And how can I correct it. The house was built in 1978. It had some ceiling...

View more questions Search