Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    l99057j Posts: 57, Reputation: 18

Apr 12, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Adding lavatory drain
    I started a remodeling project, adding a new wall and putting a laundry room on one side and turning the half-bath on the other side into a full. Now that I'm 80% done, my wife has decided she would like the bathroom sink on the same wall as the washing machine rather than the opposite side where we originally planned. Of course, this is after I've done the plumbing for the wash. Here is a photo of the wall in question...

Since the image is so fuzzy (I took it with a cell phone) here is a summary. The washing machine drains into a 2" pipe, reducing to 1.5". The 1.5" washing machine drain and a 1.5" utility sink meet up and drain into a 2" pipe.

My question is, what is the easiest way to add a sink just to the right of this photo?

Thanks in advance.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Well, you've already screwed it up by using a double San-Tee as a drainage fitting, reducing the size of the clotheswasher standpipe and trap arm and by using a medium sweep 90 to transition from vertical to horizontal.

Apr 12, 2007, 08:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    Well, you've already screwed it up by using a double San-Tee as a drainage fitting, reducing the size of the clotheswasher standpipe and trap arm and by using a medium sweep 90 to transition from vertical to horizontal.
    I appreciate that you took the time to look and respond, but would it have hurt to post something constructive? You pointed out what was wrong, but didn't offer any constructive advice on how it should have been done. What layout would you suggest? I will gladly tear it out and re-do it properly. I obviously wouldn't be posting a question here if I weren't willing to hear from and take the advice of those more experienced.
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 08:41 PM
    Is the lavatory going to be back to back to the laundry sink?

Apr 12, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    Is the lavatory going to be back to back to the laundry sink?
    No, from left to right (from the camera's viewpoint in the photo)...

Utility sink (other side of wall)
    Washing machine (other side of wall)
    Lavatory sink (this side of wall, in the stud bay just off the right side of the pic)

Thanks.
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 08:51 PM
    You want to do something like this:

But replace the fitting marked with an arrow with the fitting in the second picture.
    Attached Images

Apr 13, 2007, 07:00 AM
    Thanks for the input, growler, I'm going to give this another try. I would like to ask a question, though, because I want to learn about this instead of just doing it and not understanding why. Here is a snippet I copied from another site...

A sanitary tee directs traffic in your home's drain-waste-vent plumbing system to make sure wastes go down to the sewer and gasses go out the vent stack. Like other types of T fittings, it connects two pipes in line for a main run and one at a 90-degree angle for a branch run. But it's a little different than a standard tee: it's designed so waste will flow through it smoothly--the branch run curves toward the perpendicular main run (a similar tee with a long, sweeping curve is called a combination tee).
    Why was it wrong to use a double sanitary-tee in this case? When, if ever, would you recommend using one?
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by l99057j
    Thanks for the input, growler, I'm going to give this another try. I would like to ask a question, though, because I want to learn about this instead of just doing it and not understanding why. Here is a snippet I copied from another site...

Why was it wrong to use a double sanitary-tee in this case? When, if ever, would you recommend using one?
    A double sanitary tee is a vent fitting for tying two horizontal vents into a vertical vent.

If you look at the venturi inlets of a double Sanitary Tee, you'll see that they match the profile of a medium sweep 90.

Then look at the Partition Cross photo I uploaded and you'll notice that both inlets match the profile of a long sweep 90.

The Partition Cross does a much better job of directing the flow down the drain, while the double ST, particularly when using it for a pumped discharge drainage fitting has the potential to shoot past the drain and into the trap arm of the other fixture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Water to Lavatory [ 1 Answers ]

I have no water pressure in bathroom sink only stream coming out?

Lavatory - new drain leak [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I'm on my 2nd bathroom Moen installation. The first bathroom was a success. This lavatory has a slight leak at the new drainpipe at the top After loosely reinstalling “J” trap and rotating it out of the way, I used a 2cm 'rope' of plumbers' putty on the lip and placed in hole of...

Lavatory sink not flat? [ 4 Answers ]

We're replacing a lavatory sink, and it appears that the bottom of the new sink is not flat. It rocks from side to side nearly 1/8 of an inch. It's a 19" round Gerber vitreous china sink. If we spin the sink 90 deg, it still rocks from side to side (relative to the sink, that is). Is this sort...

How many turns can a lavatory drain take [ 3 Answers ]

I have a bathroom project I am working on and as I understand I can have minor drains come into the main one as long as they are vented. Is this correct? The way the bathroom ended up being laid out the toilet is the farthest from the point where the stub comes up out of the concrete in the...

Lavatory drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new lavatory in proximity to a toilet 2" vent pipe. Is it okay to tie the lavatory drain to the toilet vent pipe?

View more questions Search