Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lucinda1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2016, 03:34 PM
    What price would the monopolist charge to maximize its profits?
    An engineering industry has the following market supply and demand equations: P=100-2Qd
    P=30+3Qs

Suppose the industry is taken over by a monopolist. What price would the monopolist charge to maximize its profits?

A) 80

B) 90

C) 100

D)110

I worked out the equilibrium price and used it with P= 100-4Qd but not getting the right answer..
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2016, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lucinda1234 View Post
    An engineering industry has the following market supply and demand equations: P=100-2Qd
    P=30+3Qs

Suppose the industry is taken over by a monopolist. What price would the monopolist charge to maximize its profits?

A) 80

B) 90

C) 100

D)110

I worked out the equilibrium price and used it with P= 100-4Qd but not getting the right answer..
    Logic suggests the maximum price since the monopolist has taken over the industry and therefore has no competition
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 21, 2016, 05:59 PM
    Set up a graph.
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

Jan 22, 2016, 12:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Logic suggests the maximum price since the monopolist has taken over the industry and therefore has no competition
    Logic would dictate that , though if they have the monopoly " Taken over the industry " they could charge anything.

I mean if they over price their items , no one would buy them.

Hmm you may have to graph this one out, though I believe it's the 90.

Make it low enough that people would want to buy , though not making it cheap that they lose money over it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sheetrock work price to install 40 sheets(what to charge) [ 1 Answers ]

I demoed all the walls of an efficiancy apmt.(sheetrock) bdrm/liv.kitch.and rr. What do I charge.to reinstall ,tape,floate and texture.(40 sheets)

How do you find the number of 2 products that will maximize profits? [ 2 Answers ]

22. Grissom Products installs standard and deluxe storage sheds. Selected data related to each product is as follows: Standard Deluxe Sales price per unit $2,000 $4,000 Direct materials per unit 350 600 Direct labor per unit 250 350 Variable...

Maximize profits [ 1 Answers ]

Kappos Company sells a single product that has variable costs of $14 per unit. Fixed costs will remain constant across all levels of sales: Units Sold-80,000; Price per unit-$35; Units Sold-90,000; Price per unit-$33; Units Sold-100,000; Price per unit-$31; Units Sold-110,000; Price per unit-$29;...

View more questions Search