Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marisol1997 Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2016, 06:30 PM
    Failed First Semester
    Hi , In the first Semester Of My Senior Year I failed English 4 which is required to graduate , but my teacher assigned a 1000 point project before the grading period ended to help boost our grades in the class , and we also took our first semester exam , that she claims I failed... My question is even with the heavy weighted project shouldn't I have still been able to pass the class ?

PS In Florida they grade the exams 45 45 10 or 40 40 20 . I also heard another teacher say that if you make an A or B second semester that you will be rewarded the full credit . Does anyone know how true this is ?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 9, 2016, 06:43 PM
    Why did you fail the first semester?

Jan 9, 2016, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Why did you fail the first semester?
    I missed a lot of assignments due to my shadowing program
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 9, 2016, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by marisol1997 View Post
    I missed a lot of assignments due to my shadowing program
    Shadowing program? Please explain.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jan 9, 2016, 08:31 PM
    Have your parents contacted your teacher for a conference? Is your shadowing program a required class or an elective? When you say things like "She claims" and "I heard another teacher", it tells me that you need to get straight answers ASAP or you will not be graduating on time. I'm going to also assume you don't have a good rapport with your teacher so get your parents to help you before it's too late.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2016, 11:42 PM
    No in almost all of them, if you are at perhaps a 59, an extra credit program may give you a 60 or something, to allow you to pass. But if you are at 20 or 30 percent due to not doing your work, no, that is not what extra credit is for.

But with that said, it is your teachers grading system, so only she knows what real effect it has. It is something your parents need to be talking to the teach about, and you. You need to schedule an appointment with her.

Also, to be blunt, if you are failing this semester, the chances of you making A or B next semester is almost none, since behavior does not often change that greatly.

You need to get your parents to arrange an appointment with them, you and the teacher and discuss what you did wrong, and how to fix it at this point.

It appears you put other interests ahead.

Jan 10, 2016, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Shadowing program? Please explain.
    A shadowing program is an elective , that allows you to shadow nurses or doctors in the healthcare field , and once you graduate you will be a certified Medical Assistant.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2016, 10:00 AM
    That's not a valid excuse to not do your course work which is still your primary responsibility. There is no either / or choice. Particularly if you ever make it to the medical field when it would put lives at risk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you transfer before the semester starts? [ 19 Answers ]

I am going to Saint Marry's for college, however I want to transfer to a university in LA a soon as possible since my family is there. I was wondering how long do I have to wait before I transfer, like week. Day? Month? Or could I transfer before the semester actually starts.

Failed a UA in dec 2010(My first UA failed since I got on probation). [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have been on probation in Florida since Aug 2008 for a dui and GTA. I have paid all restitution and completed everything as ordered by the court. I however failed a UA in dec 2010(My first UA failed since I got on probation). My probation officer however said he wasn't going to violate me....

Last semester of nursing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in my final semester of RN school. I only have 4 clinicals left. My instructor has only just now decided to bring it to my attention that I need to improve or she is going to fail me! I get so nervous when she is in the room watching me that I make little stupid mistakes or forget how...

AP Physics Semester Review [ 2 Answers ]

I'm totally and completely lost on most of these questions. It's a lot, but it would be a huge help even if anyone could answer even one of them. Hopefully there isn't a rule to posting multiple questions? Thank you so much! 3) Net torque produces ____ 9) A machine gun fires 55g bullets...

View more questions Search