Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akf_ngu Posts: 29, Reputation: 4

Jan 9, 2016, 09:51 AM
    Small dog bonked head!
    We have a Mini Poodle, she is about 6lbs soaking wet.
    But today she accidentally ran into the wall at almost full speed. She kind of stiffened up, shook, and fell over looking confused and scared (much like those fainting dwarf ponies)

After she calmed down after about 20 seconds, I stood her up once for a moment and she kind of shuffled back down into a laying down position.

She laid down cuddling with my oldest, I took a pen light and checked her pupil reaction (I googled concussion) and the reaction is fine.

Her gums were a little pale, not white, but not all the way normal either, and she was just laying here. she looks at me when I call her name, and she seems to respond when we love on her. Just a minute ago she sat up and gave my son kisses and wagged her tail.

Now, she wants to shake her fur out, like after a bath. But she stops half way, I think she has a headache.

And about an hour later she got up and wanted to play again, she still won't move very fast, but is happy and excited to play. She still won't shake her fur. So I may ask the vet for a painkiller.

What I am asking, is she is feeling better and giving love and reacting to us now. But she is still quite out of it, and still acting like her head hurts, which I am sure it does, she hit hard :(

Is there anything I can do to help her feel better until we get to the vet later? Are there warning signs that I should watch for and call 911 for?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 9, 2016, 02:26 PM
    She wags, and kisses. She can shake her head. She can hear you and look. Yes, I am sure it hurts. Don't pressure her to act loving or to react. The main actions are if she can eat, drink, and 'go,' and don't pressure any of that either. Maybe some special treat like hamburger so she doesn't have to chew much. Ask the kids to move slowly and to be quieter than usual.

Jan 9, 2016, 04:16 PM
    The vet said it was a minor concussion. She is getting back to her old self and feeling much better after the carprofen the vet gave her. The vet said he doubts she will need more than that one dose and should be back to normal tomorrow :) She had some chicken for dinner and a little dollop of applesauce (don't worry, no sugar) I didn't want to upset her tummy with anything too heavy. Ive had a concussion and it upset my stomach too. And the vet said she may vomit, as long as it doesn't persist its OK.I was also so relieved to see her pee. It took her a bit. I think she got confused for a moment and squatted 3 times before finally staying put and peeing lol. All in all, we are all very happy to see her feeling better, other than a little moping still. :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 10, 2016, 12:38 AM
    So glad all is well. I'm sorry that I didn't see this post sooner.

Dogs can do such silly things. My lab (RIP) once ran into me so hard that I needed a brace on my leg, he had sprained it by running into it. They don't seem to know that crashing into things, can hurt them, or the things they crash into. ;)

Keep an eye on her. If she vomits every meal, back to the vet. If she's not eating, drinking, peeing or pooing for more than a day, then back to the vet. But from what you posted, it sounds like she'll be fine. Silly pup, no more running into walls! It hurts!

Jan 10, 2016, 08:35 AM
    Thank you!
    She woke up this morning and ate her breakfast just fine! No vomiting!

And she shook her fur out without stopping, though she still seems to be doing it gingerly, it doesn't seem to hurt as much as it did.
    And she still hesitates to go somewhere. Honestly I wonder if she is afraid to move too fast out of fear of hitting her head again.
    She seems skittish, and she is normally very vocal when people knock on the door or walk by our apartment. But since yesterday she just kind of stares at the door, not really wanting to bark.
    Maybe just the headache thing again.
    Ill give her one more of her pills today and see how she does tomorrow. If her head still hurts I will take her back to see if something else is going on.

Your lab sounded like a big goof ball. Its so funny what our furry babies will do :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 10, 2016, 08:47 AM
    She's probably just sore. Give her some time.

Jan 10, 2016, 09:26 AM
    I agree

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does anyone sell an extension cord with a small head to thread through a small hole I [ 1 Answers ]

I had a granite counter top installed with a whole to allow cords to be treaded through for the computer, phone etc. The whole is not big enough to put an extension cord through. Does anyone sell a smaller head on the extension cord?

My small dog ate 2 small chicken bones [ 8 Answers ]

My small dog ate a 2 small chicken bones WHOLE a couple of minutes ago. What should I do and should I be concerned?

Small 2yr old dog poss consumed small beads designed to expand in water [ 3 Answers ]

I believe my 11lbs chihuahua consumed roughly three to five very small beads that are a children's toy called orbeez that my daughter was playing with earlier today. She told my husband that she saw the dog eat one and once we cleaned them up there were easily 30 of them spilt. Orbeez are an...

Dry Dog Food for Small Dog [ 3 Answers ]

My Lhasa Apso and Shih Tzu have digestive trouble with their current dog food - Bil-Jac. I purchased California Natural Lamb and Rice, but the nuggets are so large and hard that my one dog won't eat them. She picks them out of the bowl and sets them on the floor. Does anyone make a high quality...

View more questions Search