Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Critsy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 04:40 AM
    I would suggest a Springer spaniel. They are loving dogs. If you get a female they are calmer and if you get angry they suck up to you big time! My friend as a beautiful springer spaniel. They do need excersize and are intelligent. At least Chloe is!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2007, 06:39 AM
    Critsy, I agree Springer spaniels can make wonderful pets and most are very loving. But, Shy has already resolved her problem for the moment. It is important to remember to look at the previous answers in a post prior to responding, so that you can build upon the answers given. Right now, Shy has been telling us that she already has a dog. Shy is trying to rebuild Rosie's health and will work on training her as a service dog for her son. Rosie is now living with Shy and hopefully, if all goes well over the next couple of weeks, her problem will be resolved. Giving her some words of encouragement would be really helpful to her now.
    cut_ie Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 10:37 AM
    I think a Lab or retriever ,or if that's to big a labradoggle
    cut_ie Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Sorry labradoogle
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 21, 2007, 01:45 PM
    Good News, Good News! Rosie has a clean bill of health. Her doctor was very pleased with how she is doing. Her energy level is still not 100% but that will come. The only thing I notice is that she is shedding so much. I have to vacuum every day. I remember some time ago a vet told me about a vitamin for dogs for their coats. Is that a true deal or one of those gimmicks?

Have big doings this weekend and not sure how to handle it all. Two graduations and two open houses, which means Rosie is home alone for about 3 hours each time. I am seriously thinking of foregoing the graduation ceremonies - who really sees who is there anyway - and just pop into the open houses and only stay an hour or so. Both are family doings so being there is a must. Would never subject Rosie to that.

So that's the update. All is well, knock on wood. After Memorial Day Rosie meets the dog rehab/trainer.

Hope everyone is having a spectacular Spring day. It is gorgeous outside. Take care and hugs all around.
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Thanks for the update Shy. I am glad that she is coming along so nicely. I don't know about the vitamins. Shedding is rather normal for this time of year.Give the vet a follow up call and ask. He would be the best source for that information.

I hope you are able to balance out your days properly with all the events going on. Enjoy the weather! I am doing the same today. :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 21, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Great!!
    If there really was any simple solution to the shedding, I am sure the dog guide school would know about it. Feed a decent chow and brush, brush, brush.

susan-cann Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 05:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    My youngest son has profound disabilites - both mental and physical and it has been suggested, by his IEP team, that he acquire a pet - in hopes that the pet would help calm him. I don't have anything against having a pet, but I know having a cat is not the answer - he hates cats with a passion. He is scared of dogs, even though when I was married, my husband and I always had a dog in the house. Brandon hated the long hair mini daschunds - he kept trying to choke them. We ended up finding a better home for them. He did not react well to a springer spaniel we had - apparently too much energy for him to absorb. The only dog he really tolerated was our Rosie - a Rottweiler. She attached to him and was his guardian and he never picked on her or tried to hit her. He would sit on the couch and she would come over to him and plop right in front of him and he would rest his feet on her back.

I live in an apartment complex where people can have dogs and several tenants have dogs and Brandon freaks out when he sees those animals. He screams and almost jumps out of his wheelchair. I would like to try getting a good dog that would be patient and that could help Brandon re-learn that being around a dog can be a good thing. But I am afraid of a small dog - my son can be harmful to such a small animal, and I do not want a big dog, we live in a 2 bedroom apt.

Do you think this could be even feasible? What are some suggestions? Thank you for your thoughts on this.
    I have a chocolate lab. The reason why I got him was because of my 2 children he is very affectionate with them. He is not aggressive and he is just a lovable dog. They have great temperaments with children and they are very easy going.
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 05:38 AM
    Hi Susan,

I agree with you, labs are great with kids. I think they have one of the best temperments and make excellent assistance dogs. Rosie is here for two main reasons, Rosie needed a home and it has been working well with Brandon.

I appreciate you sharing your about your children and lab. It is nice to hear that. Am glad your children have a true best friend.
    susan-cann Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 05:43 AM
    My kids adore the dog. The best thing about their relationship is that he can decipher the difference between children and adults. So he knows when to be very gentle and when to play like a puppy and with whom.
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2007, 03:58 PM
    Been awhile since I said anything about Rosie. She went through the obedience class and did very well. Was pleased. She just completed a review this past weekend, which the trainer said she made more progress than he had hoped, because of her age. She is not perfect but she is a keeper anways! Lol

But on a different note, two Friday's ago, when I was bathing her, I noticed some lumps on her chest. I took her to the vet and he wanted her back in to biopsy the lumps. Took her in the following Monday, and am waiting to hear back. That is the potentially sad part and I honestly do not know what all to expect but I also try not to borrow a pail full of hot coals unless I have to, so will wait and pray.

A good note - Rosie made her official outing as Brandon's companion last night at a softball game for kids with all kinds of disabilities. They only meet three Mondays but it is fun. Everyone gets to hit, "run" the bases and score. Every child is paired with at least one helper (Brandon had two). The helpers are local University students who are going into either special ed, ot, pt, speech, or social work. Lasts about 1 1/2 hours, which is plenty of time. There is girl there who was in Brandon's class since middle school and he always had a crush on her - she has long pretty hair - which is a requisite for Brandon. Lol. Rosie did well, except for when there were too many people sticking around the bases. She got fidgety for the first go round. After that she settled. Once the ball came to Brandon and that little stinker pointed to the ball and pointed to Rosie - he wanted her to go get it and she did. Brought it back to him too. Good girl!
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Shy that was a wonderful update about Rosie.
    I really enjoyed reading it.

Hopefully the lumps are just fatty tumor or something that poses no threat to her well being.
    I had a black lab growing up and he developed something like that in his older years.
    I think they were called fatty tumors (if there is such a thing), I can't remember, but they were harmless.
    I hope the same for Rosie...

I'm so happy to hear that she and Brandon have become friends and are doing well together. That's the best news anyone could ask for.
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2007, 04:42 PM
    Thanks, Kae. Makes me feel better. Hugsssss your way.
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2007, 05:37 PM
    Fatty tumors mostly need to be watched and called to the attention of the vet if they change. Unfortunately, if the vet wanted a biopsy, it may be something else. Something else may still be treatable. Early this year my Aster was almost taken over by an 8 pound tumor. She is doing fine and will be celebrating her 14'th birthday next month. Must be making plans. This was at 11. She is on the left, and her mother rear center.

Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Shy, I am very happy to hear how well she has done with her training. You made the right decision taking her back into Brandon's life.

I truly do hope everything turns out fine. I know how distressing this can be. I just went through it myself with Ruby (she is fine). If nothing else, you need to keep in mind that without your help, Rosie would have wasted away at that farm. You have given her an opportunity for a new chance at life doing what you did. She now has the love she deserves and is being the helpful assistant that you need. Please keep us posted on her health.
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Good Afternoon and it a good afternoon. Rosie went into the Vet clinic on Friday and she got home this afternoon. The lumps were fatty tumors and the Vet took them out - there were four of them. He said he did not see anything that would cause alarm. We are not going to the softball game tonight. Tonight is just to relax and see what the new TV shows are or are not. Mostly are not, I am afraid. When did TV become so yucky?

Anyway, I just wanted to update you and thank you for your warm thoughts for Rosie. Right now she and Brandon are lurking in the kitchen. I think that is a hint. Lol. Take care.
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 02:51 PM
    Shy, I am very relieved to hear this news! I was getting a bit worried wondering what the outcome would be. Sloppy pitbull kisses to you, Rosie & the boys. Xoxoxo
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 05:37 PM
    Very happy to hear they were just fatty tumors.:D
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2007, 09:30 PM
    I have had a busy day, but I am going to take time to say I am happy for you that it was nothing but fatty tumors before I quit for the night.
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Sep 25, 2007, 07:00 AM
    Shy- I read this whole thread and just wanted to tell you how truly touching it was to read this. It's amazing how life finds a way of working itself out for the better. Quite an amazing turn of events. I am sincerely happy for you and your son.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Retirement recommendation [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 30 years old and I'm self employed. I never have any retirement plan and planning to start one soon. My wife is 28 years old and she has some basic 401 k true the company that she works. Will some one please recommend as good retirement plan. Thank you

Software recommendation. [ 12 Answers ]

I'm tired of trying to use Excel as a database. Navigating to what I want amongst the rows, columns and tabs is becoming a nightmare. My needs are simple: to organize info and sometimes convert it for use on a website. Blew my mind to see the prices! MyDatabase at about $30 seems to cover...

Need a recommendation for a good Print Screen App [ 13 Answers ]

It must include auto scroll for web pages. I've used Print Screen Deluxe for years, but there's a bug in their most recent version and auto scroll is not working... and their support is horrid. Thanks!

Good dog book? [ 9 Answers ]

If I had to buy one very good dog book which should I buy? I would like one that could give me all the information I need from training to caring for the dog to well, everything.

View more questions Search