Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coach438 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Mar 7, 2005, 10:27 AM
    Early Christian Manuscripts
    Tough question for anyone willing to tackle it. :)

I read references frequently about the thousands and thousands of manuscripts which stand as evidence for the veracity of the Bible. Yet no one ever cites their sources. How do I verify that there are indeed all of these early manuscripts? Who has them? Are they catalogued somewhere?
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Mar 7, 2005, 02:01 PM
    Christian Manuscripts
    Any document from long ago is bound to be considered "hearsay".That's not saying it's not true,but over the mists of time,translation from Aramaic,to Hebrew,to Greek,to Latin,to German,to English,may have caused one or two translators "public licence".

Check out this url
    http://www.bible-history.com/links.p...ame=Papyrology

The site is crammed full of links and articles.Enough to keep the ardent scholar happy for years.

As to your original question on verification,I don't know.I suppose it all adds up to faith and/or belief.

All the best,
    Nez.

Mar 7, 2005, 04:22 PM
    Thanks for the reply Nez
    You know what? I had been on that site a couple years ago and completely forgot about it! Thanks for the reminder.

As for the mists of time introducing change in ancient documents, that is a valid point. In fact, I might point out that "time" can be a very short period. Consider the Holocaust deniers. They have rewritten history (at least for their followers) in very short order. However, the historicity of the Holocaust is not changed; neither is its record in historical manuscripts. Though acounts on details may vary, the "doctrine" of history of the Holocaust is in agreement.

So it is with the Bible. For a Christian, the Bible is God's Word to his creation. We would expect to find variances in the details, because God chooses (and always has) to work through people. But His truths are untouchable. As Christians, we also expect the world to be unaccepting of this position. The Bible is very clear on this point (see 1 Cor. 2:14).

I don't expect to convince anyone. Just passing along what I understand.
    Daniel Herring Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2005, 10:25 PM
    Verily
    When a close friend tells a matter, one never asks for validation or verification. We know those closest to us. We hear the voice of our friend and believe.

Mar 16, 2005, 02:11 AM
    The key
    The key is in your first phrase, to wit: "When a close friend...". Apologetics is aimed at those who are not yet in the family or close friends. Even so, friendship - close or otherwise - is not, in and of itself, an argument for integrity or truth. It is a condition, not an argument. God understands that, and so implores us to, "Come now, let us reason together."
    chrisl Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

May 17, 2005, 12:00 PM
    Comparing Translations
    I found this link very helpful in understanding the sources used to produce modern Bible translations. The document is provided by a group called the Church of the Brethren (who I know nothing about and certainly do not endorse) but I don't know if it was written by one of their members.

While I try to be careful in case a writer's theology affects his scholarship, there is little evidence of that in this work. I find his analysis of Biblical texts to be clear and fair-minded, but judge for yourself.

http://www.cob-net.org/compare.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On Being a Christian [ 14 Answers ]

What did Jesus tell his disciples they should do? And, if someone does those things, is he then a Christian, or is there something more that he must do that Jesus did not mention? Will all Christians be saved? What does Jesus say about that? M:)RGANITE

Jew/christian marriage [ 4 Answers ]

I read somewhere that if a Jewish women marries a non-Jewish man, the children are considered Jewish. I was wondering if this is automatic or do the children get to choose for themselves when they are older.

Christian Record of Marriage [ 1 Answers ]

Found this on another site,I visit, wouldn't this be a better record of Marriage, over the so called Marriage License the state would like you to get. What is a license anyway. Link: http://www.suijuris.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=508&d=1132798112 Black Law Dictionary Seventh...

Need Help With Christian Song Name [ 1 Answers ]

I Know The Lyrics But Need To Know The Title And Who Sings It. Any info would be a great help. It is a woman who sings it. The Lyrics Are Jesus Loves Me This I Know For The Bible Tells Me So Little Ones To Him Below They Are Weak But He Is Strong Alleluia Allelu Alleluia Alleluia

View more questions Search