Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JJGGMM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Say it isn't so! I can't believe my son is a bully?
    Help! I received a call from the school principal today. She says that my 9 yr old son is a bully! I'm having a hard time believing it. I mean... he is way more shy than any of my other children. I have a 13 yr old daughter and another son that is 8. This news totally threw me for a loop! I'm sure she has all of her facts straight. I just can't believe it! He has confirmed everything that she said. But this is the boy that is totally afraid of new environments. He always has to slowly be eased into new stuff - so I guess besides the fact that I could use all the advice that I can get on this subject - my question is: Is it possible for a child with (what I believe to be) social anxiety to be a bully? :(
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 05:25 PM
    If he already has some social anxiety and feels different than the other kids and perhaps is being made fun of, then his acting like a bully might be the way he is overcompensating because he feels insecure.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Another thought is that perhaps he is being set up to get in trouble if other kids might be making fun of him. They will do that you know. Happened to me a lot in grade school. I was the second largest kid at the school and very shy.
    Anayden Posts: 67, Reputation: 19

Apr 12, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JJGGMM
    Help! I received a call from the school principal today. She says that my 9 yr old son is a bully! I'm having a hard time believing it. I mean...he is way more shy than any of my other children. I have a 13 yr old daughter and another son that is 8. This news totally threw me for a loop! I'm sure she has all of her facts straight. I just can't believe it! He has confirmed everything that she said. But this is the boy that is totally afraid of new environments. He always has to slowly be eased into new stuff - so I guess besides the fact that I could use all the advice that I can get on this subject - my question is: Is it possible for a child with (what I believe to be) social anxiety to be a bully??:(
    Is his father around is my first question. I only ask because most people who are bullies have a problem at home. Either parents, siblings, or something strange is going on. My first statement is: Everyone wants to fit in at school. If that means that you have to pick on someone first before they pick on you first or because he is lashing out because he is missing something. Some, not all, bullies pick on people they know they can "handle" if they had to fight them. He is probably just "in a shell" at home, but what people don't realize is that kids act TOTALLY different from when they are in their parents sights and out. I use to raise hell when I was at home and when I went to school they knew me as the "quiet girl". Im 20 years old now, so it has been a while since I was in elementary or middle school, but I remember that it was a very scary place. So, it is a possibility. Talk to him about why he does it and try to come to some understanding with him that it is unacceptable behavior and that he wouldn't like it if it was happening to him. Maybe it already has. Ask him that too. Some kids are honest about it and some are too embarrassed to tell the truth. Ask him honestly. Talk, don't yell, once you start yelling he will clam up and won't talk to you. Try it and I hope it works out.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Here are a couple of sites that may be of use to you. I hope that they are.

Parenting Shy Children

Social Anxiety in Children and Teenagers
    pussnbootz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2010, 11:25 AM
    I have the same story. My son is 7 and super quiet. Very soft hearted & a really good helper. But last year his teacher told me she was having issues with him. Of course I got defensive because like you, I couldn't imagine my boy being the bully. This year I am hearing it from the babysitter who is threatening to quit! I have to stop being nieve so I confronted my boy about it & he didn't deny it. He admits to hitting & pushing people all the time & I don't understand... What do I do now? Let me know if you have any tips for me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Son just on 16 [ 34 Answers ]

My son is just on 16 and is very keen on a girl he met at school and who he has known for some time at school and at Scouts. Over the last month they have noticed each other more. The problem is that my wife has an objection to my son having a girlfriend until at least 18+ and has grounded him for...

My son! [ 12 Answers ]

Hey, My name is Chris. I live in Ireland with my 5 sons. My wife died when my oldest son was 6. I'm only 38 so I find it quiet hard to handle my sons. 4 of them are easy to handle but my youngest son is very hard to cope with. Hes always getting kicked out of sports and even school. Hes...

My son [ 3 Answers ]

Yes my son has a very bad behavor problem at home and at school.:mad: and I don't no what else to do?:confused: I did all the disiplin I can do .when you try to talk to him he says your hurting his ears,he can be very meanto self and everyone around him .I really don't know what I should do!please...

I need help with my son. [ 11 Answers ]

I'm 36 and have a 16 year old son. His mother moved to Scotland before he was born and 2 years ago died of cancer my son who I didn't even know about came to live with me. However we didn't really take to each other. Kyle(my son)had a stepdad who wasn't the most nice of people so he doesn't...

My Son [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everybody I have some problems and need to share with those people with full of kindness that can help me. I am a single mom with 3 kids. I have a man next to me now that will be my future husband. He is a very good man to me and wonderful father-to- be to my kids. My relationship with...

View more questions Search