Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richard63636 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2016, 08:41 PM
    Journalise replacement of faulty goods to customer, and return to supplier
    Hi.

I purchase goods from a supplier. I then sold some of the goods to a customer. The customer sent some back because they were damaged. I replaced them. Later I tried to return them to the supplier, but they didn't accept responsibility. How do I journalise this?
    richard63636 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2016, 08:53 PM
    Should I debit (increase) Cost of goods sold, and credit (reduce) inventory in the first case? (as essentially the Sale hasn't changed at all... just the extra inventory).

Or should I include the Sales Returns and Allowances account somewhere? (though this doesn't make sense, as the sale is still in effect.

Then when I attempt to return to the purchaser, because he doesn't accept responsibility, I can't reduce inventory (if I've already done that)... would there possibly be a separate "damaged goods" account, that I'd need to debit in the first part, to record the returned goods? (but then what would I offset that with?).

It's confusing me no end.

Thanks in advance

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Currys and faulty goods [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I purchased awasher dryer worth £329.99 from Currys on 03/01/11 and it was delivered on 07/01/11. Within 2 weeks I noticed that it was not drying the clothes properly and was in fact shrinking them. I contacted their call centre and was advised to pick a new one for exchange however upon...

What is the average mark-up for delivery from supplier to customer ? [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a product delivered from the manufacter to the customer. What is the average markup for a profit to my company.

Website sales customer wants to return items but did not follow posted return policy [ 11 Answers ]

Website customer wants to return item however, did not follow the posted return policy, does not have the required return authorization and 30 days have passed. Do I need to return their money? Can they file a claim? I am in PA and they are in CT--which state? Thanks.

I have credited a customer's customer though the customer did not return goods [ 1 Answers ]

I have a credited a custimers account though the customer did not return goods and the account is now showing a credit balance but theyowe us some money.

View more questions Search