Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 4, 2016, 02:02 PM
    two (vent needs to roll above center line of drain pipe with PTRAP on it),
    That I understand. Granted I said the side port would be horizontal but it looks like there is enough room between the pipe and the floor that the tee could be rolled up to about 10 o'clock. That should get the vent above the center line.

sanitary tee fitting can't pick up PTRAP
    Don't understand
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 4, 2016, 02:22 PM
    Just that plumbing code clearly states that there cannot be a tee fitting on the horizontal when it comes to drains... OK to pick up the vent (preferred), but not OK to pick up the ptrap... would need a wye fitting and that will def. not work here.

And the vent fitting would need to roll above the horizontal pipe with the trap on it. If I understood your explanation, the PTRAP would now come off the original vent pipe fitting... vent would need to come off that same pipe... not below and in front of the PTRAP.

As a plumber quoting code here, I don't see any choice but to cut out the wye fitting and repipe all if he wants to stay with code (unless, again, AAVS are allowed).
    Paulvolter Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2016, 02:38 PM
    So I am still a little confused. Mark, it sounds like I have 2 options?

Option 1: Harold’s suggestion, which would be easier, but may not be up to code, but should still work.

Option 2: Mark’s suggestion which would be up to code, but involves more work.

If this is correct, let me make sure I understand Harold’s way.

Put a tee in vent pipe and point tee downward.
    Attach 90 to new tee.
    Make drain below the bath shorter, thus bringing up trap.
    Reconnect Trap, and existing 90 to new 90, which comes off new tee.
    Plug right end of existing larger tee.
    (More or less, this will plumb trap to vent pipe.)
    If this is what is meant, and you don’t think there will be issues, please let me know.

Thanks again everybody for all advice.

Jan 4, 2016, 02:52 PM
    AAVs are not allowed in WI.

Also, because it can be hard to tell in pictures, the trap is only about 2" below the bottom of the joist.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 4, 2016, 04:04 PM
    OK, less of all evils here...

Simply cut the PTRAP off leaving 1" of pipe out of the tee fitting... now install two 45s to offset the pipe up and install PTRAP. It isn't exactly code, but all in all it is simplest, the vent will still contribute and you will be all set without a ton of work.

Jan 4, 2016, 05:00 PM
    Aaaaaaa
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 4, 2016, 06:33 PM
    Great back up on this, Harold! Team effort, as usual!
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Jan 4, 2016, 06:36 PM
    I think its odd that AAVs are not allowed in WI, but the installation demonstrated in the photos clearly shows a horizontal vent below the flood level of the bathtub - no code that I am aware of allows horizontal venting unless the vent is '' washed '' by another fixture, or in island sink installations - at least with island sink installs, the horizontal vent can be made accessible for rodding...
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 4, 2016, 06:43 PM
    Been doing this same kind of venting all my life, Mike. I know what you are talking about (vent needs to be a minimum 6" above flood level rim before can offset horizontal), but toilets, tubs, and showers seem to be an exception to the rule... at least in Maine and Mass (and WI where this work got done) where I've done most of my work.

I think Paul is all set at this point!

Thanks

Jan 5, 2016, 05:31 AM
    Mark,

Dry horizontal vents installed below the flood level of fixtures have the potential to become clogged; when this happens the vent will not prevent negative pressure. Although rare, I have witnessed several blocked horizontal vents and when there is no access, floors, walls & ceilings must be opened to make repairs.
    We have always found a way to connect waste arms to a verticle vent, or, have the horizontal vent share space with a fixture drain...

Jan 5, 2016, 03:00 PM
    Name:  IMG_after (1) - Copy.JPG
Views: 391
Size:  30.0 KB

So, I just want to make sure that this is what Mark and Harold are talking about before I install.

Install 2 45s that I'm holding... reattach PTRAP and 90 to the 2 45s. Then shorten pipe coming out of shower.

Side note:(I'll install a new PTRAP with cleanout if there is enough clearance to do so.)

Because of how close the camera was to the pipes, things look distorted and it looks like things might not work, but if this is what was meant, I think I can make everything line up.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Jan 5, 2016, 04:12 PM
    Name:  dryfit (1) - Copy.JPG
Views: 612
Size:  34.1 KB
    This is how it looks dry fit.
    I won't be able to use the PTRAP with the cleanout, due to clearance. I'll have to go back and get another PTRAP because I can't change the angle of the original. If somebody gives me the OK that this shouldn't cause any major problems, I'll glue.

Thanks much.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 5, 2016, 04:24 PM
    That's OK, your old trap did not have a clean out either.

Jan 5, 2016, 04:49 PM
    Should be OK, but before you glue look for clean out with a flush plug. I really like the idea of a clean out because of all the turns you have. You may be able to find a flush plug that fits the trap you have
    Attached Images

Jan 5, 2016, 05:19 PM
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 5, 2016, 05:21 PM
    Paul, looks great... try to find a PTRAP with a union fitting... sold at all home improvement stores nowadays. The beauty of these is that if the PTRAP clogs or you need access to snake the drain you only need to loosen the union nut and the trap adapter nut (called a desanco) and pull the trap down entirely... makes snaking the drain super easy! See image

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 489
Size:  12.1 KB

Mike, I have never worried about it in any way and I've never had an inspector even discuss it with me (and I have roughed in thousands of units... no exaggeration), so I'm not going to give it a second thought here! Anyway, I think Paul is all set now and I don't want him thinking this discussion has anything to do with his problem. Have a good day!

Jan 6, 2016, 11:47 AM
    Name:  IMG_0995 - Copy.JPG
Views: 360
Size:  29.7 KBName:  glued (2) - Copy.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  28.8 KB
    So, I have everything glued, and everything works great.

I used the union fitting on the PTRAP so along with Union on pipe coming from shower drain, I will be able to remove and clean out PTRAP if I need to (after installing an access panel in the drywall)

I'm attaching original picture on left along with finished picture on right in case anybody else has the same problem.

A huge thank you to Mark, Harold, and anybody else who provided input. This was more of a problem than I thought it would be, but I think we found a simple solution that I think should work great.

Thank you, now I can move on to the rest of the basement.

Jan 7, 2016, 05:09 AM
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 489
Size:  12.1 KB

Mike, I have never worried about it in any way and I've never had an inspector even discuss it with me (and I have roughed in thousands of units... no exaggeration), so I'm not going to give it a second thought here! Anyway, I think Paul is all set now and I don't want him thinking this discussion has anything to do with his problem. Have a good day![/QUOTE]

Mark,
    The thing I enjoy most about this forum is the value of shared information that provides opportunities for learning, and I think you have an opportunity to educate your inspector(s) - take Pauls photos to him / her and challenge him to provide the section of code that allows dry horizontal venting below the flood level of any fixture...
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2016, 07:09 AM
    Great job, guys. It was fun reading through this. As someone once said, "I love it when a plan comes together."
    jeff J Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2016, 08:08 PM
    Is that a s-trap?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If don't have floor trap in toilet room how to solve the floor trap problem [ 4 Answers ]

We have separated toilet and bathroom in my hdb flat. There's not provided floor trap in our toilet room. Now we have to make a hole in the wall between toilet and bathroom and the water flow from this hole to the bathroom. But not all the water are not flowing to the bathroom. Can you help me to...

Floor Joist repair [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, am currently in reno my recently purchased house and a lot of work is need. Right now some of you might know I am getting help in replacing the plumbing through out the house. In the pic below is where the floor joist was cut for piping. The floor joist that been cut through completely has drop...

Floor joist [ 3 Answers ]

would sistering a 2x6 onto a old 2x6 be as strong as a 2x10 that should have been used? 24" on centers 14' span

Floor joist sizing, [ 6 Answers ]

I have sistered on 2 x 8's to my existing attic floor. It originally was framed with 2 x 4's and then 2 x 6's were sistered along to them. All the 2 x's are resting on the top plate. It feels sturdy enough to lay subflooring onto, but it is a twenty foot span. Will this be adequate?

View more questions Search