Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Charmed24 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2016, 08:40 PM
    Nervous about having a class alone
    I'm in grade 12 and I've applied to dental Hygiene for next year. It is a very competitive program and the college I want to get into the most requires marks of 75%+. The prerequisite I'm concerned about is grade 11 or 12 college or university level biology. In grade 11 I took academic (university level) biology and finished with exactly 75%. I wanted to retake it this year to up my mark but as I get closer and closer to second semester beginning (when the class starts) I keep growing even more nervous. There was no college level biology offered this year for grade 12. So in order to up my mark, I signed up for it. I don't really have many friends and in any other grade 11 class id be fine on my own. But you need a lab partner in biology. It's the same teacher as last year that I'm going to have, and she lets you pick your own partners. I think about it everyday and about how I just want to not do the class. In grade 10 o had this same problem and I called home sick every time we had a lab. I talked to no one in the class all semester. I'm not sure what to do. One of the reasons I signed up for the class is because I thought I only got a 70% in the class so I thought I had to. I am wondering if it is worth all the stress and anxiety to take it. Also, since I've already applied to colleges, they see that I am taking biology next semester (next semester starts end of janriary, acceptance letters are sent out in February), am I even allowed to drop biology or will colleges not even consider me?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 3, 2016, 06:30 AM
    Consult your academic advisors, and get facts as you have already screwed up by making decisions based on your own fears and anxiety. Only your advisors can tell you if you can safely change a class or not.

Skipping a class instruction (labs) because you were afraid to apply yourself to it (Get a lab partner) no doubt hurt your grades (You could have gotten an 80, 90, or 100) and will hurt your future grades if you don't get it under control. Now is the best time to do so, because in the real world such actions will stop you from being employed, because it's a very competitive world.

How do you expect to compete if you cannot participate? The simple answer to your question is to ask your teacher/advisor about what is acceptable, and what's not that can either hurt or help your chances to succeed on the college level... and beyond. Personally I think retaking a class you already qualified for is a waste, but overcoming your own stress and anxiety is worth it to be a BETTER student. Instead of fretting and spooking yourself go talk to your teacher before it's to late to do ANYTHING about it.

What are you going to do if you have to have a lab partner in college, but don't know anyone?

Jan 3, 2016, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Consult your academic advisors, and get facts as you have already screwed up by making decisions based on your own fears and anxiety. Only your advisors can tell you if you can safely change a class or not.

Skipping a class instruction (labs) because you were afraid to apply yourself to it (Get a lab partner) no doubt hurt your grades (You could have gotten an 80, 90, or 100) and will hurt your future grades if you don't get it under control. Now is the best time to do so, because in the real world such actions will stop you from being employed, because it's a very competitive world.

How do you expect to compete if you cannot participate? The simple answer to your question is to ask your teacher/advisor about what is acceptable, and what's not that can either hurt or help your chances to succeed on the college level... and beyond. Personally I think retaking a class you already qualified for is a waste, but overcoming your own stress and anxiety is worth it to be a BETTER student. Instead of fretting and spooking yourself go talk to your teacher before it's to late to do ANYTHING about it.

What are you going to do if you have to have a lab partner in college, but don't know anyone?
    When I skipped labs I was in grade ten and finished the class with an 80. Last year I did have friends in the class so I was fine. I feel I will be fine in college as it will be all new people to me and probably for many of the other students as well. However in a grade 11 class, everyone already knows each other. Everyone already has their own friends and that's what I am nervous about. My mom says she's going to call about my social anxiety but I don't know what they will say
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jan 3, 2016, 07:59 PM
    Are you in the U.S? If so, ask your academic counselor if community college classes in Biology will be accepted at your school. I took many college courses in high school and they counted for credits in high school and at the university level. This may help your anxiety level by giving you a chance to try out college level courses. Also, talk to your school psychologist if you are anxious. They are there to help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 3, 2016, 08:13 PM
    When you go to University you will not have all of the "friends" you go to school to learn not for the social environment.

You do need to talk to the counselor on this. Many universities requrie specific classes be done, prior to being admitted, or you may have to take additional universitity classes, which can be harder and also without your friends too.

It is time to start thinking about education and not who is in or not in a class.

Jan 3, 2016, 08:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    When you go to University you will not have all of the "friends" you go to school to learn not for the social environment.

You do need to talk to the counselor on this. Many universities requrie specific classes be done, prior to being admitted, or you may have to take additional universitity classes, which can be harder and also without your friends too.

It is time to start thinking about education and not who is in or not in a class.
    I already know what classes I need to take. I have all the credits the program I want to get into requires as well as the mark requirement. I just wanted to retake the class at college level to up my mark and I'm wondering if it's worth it. This answer also seems to be coming from someone who doesn't experience serious social anxiety. Please consider that before saying "think about education and not worry who's in the class" because for me, it is not that easy. I am up every night thinking about this and getting upset.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2016, 02:30 PM
    "I am up every night thinking about this and getting upset." If this is the case, you need to talk to a health professional. You will have a very hard time in college and particularly in business if you don't know how to address these fears. When you go to college you are pretty much on your own.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 5, 2016, 04:07 PM
    Agree that if you have serious social anxiety, you won't make it as a dental hygienist. You might not make it through college. There is less and less support and attention as you become adult. How do you handle being reprimanded? Your first job will entail a lot of learning and teaching and possibly sharp words to which you respond "OK I won't forget and will do it right from now on."
    Calling home sick is not going to work after next year.

It isn't that people here don't understand anxiety. It's that your anxiety basis is small change compared to what you will face. So get some help. A good therapist will make you work out a process for telling each person involved about your stress, and then work out a process for dealing with each situation. You will learn some self confidence and resilience.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to invoke the variables from first class and second class to third class in java [ 0 Answers ]

I need to invoke the class1 and class2 variable to class3. class1 and class2 contain only variable , no methods. I am not able execute my program. My code contain some selenium scripts also My code as follows package TestObjects;

Class boundaries,class width,class mid-point [ 0 Answers ]

Find the class width of the following, 3-7 8-10 11-15 16-18 19-25.

Construct a table for class,freq, midpoint,class boundary,relative req,and cumulati [ 1 Answers ]

Construct a table for class,freq, midpoint,class boundary,relative req,and cumulative freg? Number of classes:5 Data set:35,32,51,39,44,41,42,38,37,42,38,39,36,40,39,46,44,37,43,35,40,41,40,39

What level or class felony is poss/w intent to distribute class d [ 3 Answers ]

In criminal law is possession with intent to distribute class d "one gram " a major or minor felony? I have this on my record because in mass there was no limit to be charged this way But now it is a civil offence no longer a crime.now that mass law is changed when it comes to marijauna will my...

View more questions Search