Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aamberkelly36 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2016, 08:15 PM
    Jail marriages
    How do I obtain a marriage license with my boyfriend in Lubbock Texas county jail
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 2, 2016, 07:39 AM
    Lubbock County, Texas / Marriage

Office Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. M-F to apply for a Marriage License.
    Both applicants must be present
    *Submit proof of identity and age
    *Certified copy of a birth certificate if age 16-17 only;
    18 and over present photo identification issued by this state or another state, the U.S. or a foreign government. (Drivers license, military ID or passport are acceptable forms of identification.) All documents must be current. We will not accept an expired document.
    *Both parties must be 18 years or older (16-17 requires parental consent)
    *Both parties must provide their social security number or state they have none.
    *Both parties must provide all information as required on the application and as requested by the Clerk.
    *Both parties must take the oath printed on the application and sign the application in the presence of the Clerk.
    *If an applicant is unable to appear personally before the Clerk, any adult person or the other applicant may apply on behalf of the absent applicant. The person applying on behalf of an absent applicant shall provide the clerk a properly executed absent affidavit.
    * Effective September 1, 2013 - A person who is incarcerated may apply for a marriage license using an ABSENT APPLICATION form. However, they MUST be present for the marriage ceremony. A proxy cannot be appointed.
    *The cost of the license is $82.00 (no checks) and the license must be properly executed within 90 days.
    *There is a 72-hour waiting period to get married. The 72-hour waiting period may be waived by court order. Active duty military are exempt from the waiting period.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 2, 2016, 06:15 PM
    If the sheriff (or chief deputy) over the jail will allow it, Then it can be arranged. Seldom do any jails allow a wedding. The issue is a jail is for a short term, the person is being held pending trial, and/or they are there up to one year as a sentence.

So the first stop would be with the jail office and see if permission can be granted.
    If it can, they will have a procedure to help with the license. In most state prisons and federal prisons marriages are allowed, (although discouraged)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the virginia jail marriages regulations? [ 1 Answers ]

What are the regulations and what are we allowed to do?

Can I still get EITC if my husband has been in jail all yr & is still in jail? [ 8 Answers ]

My husband was in jail all but eight days out of 2012 & he is still in jail. We split up at the end of the yr but through most of the yr we were together. We have two kids. & I'm freaking out now because I don't think ill be eligible for eitc because I can't file jointly. Please help!

Intercaste marriages [ 2 Answers ]

Intercaste marriages Hi, I'm in relation with a guy for about 3 years.he stays in a chawlas we had to decided to run and get married for that he took a room in a chawl on rental basis . His parents and my parents to got convinced but my parents are not totally happy with him.as he is from a lower...

How many marriages [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I would like to ask a question that how many marriages in my life and can u tell me how kids and what will be the name of my wife

View more questions Search