Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    filly2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Estimated taxes for F-1
    Hi,

I am an F-1 student, but for 2007, it will be my sixth year here, so I will be filing as a resident for tax purposes next year. I know this is thinking far ahead, but I am concerned about estimated taxes.

I am working under OPT as contractor for 2 companies, and will probably earn a total of 3,200-3,500 from them till my work permit expires.

Then, when I start school again this fall, I am expecting to receive about 12,000 (Sept to Dec) as fellowship stipend. The school is also paying for my tuition, about 18,000.

I also hope to get on-campus employment.

My question is, should I make computations for estimated taxes, and start making quarterly payments? My contractor jobs end by May. I paid $0 in taxes for 2006.

Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 03:12 PM
    If the fellowship is ax-free income, then estimated taxes will not be necessary, though you WILL have to pay about $500 in self-employment taxes come April 2008.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estimated Tax Qtrly Filing for 1099 income [ 1 Answers ]

My sole source of Income will be primarily 1099 (Non-Employee Compensation). Thus I would require to file the 1040 ES and the CA 540 ES each qtr. Do I require to pay FICA+Medicare? And where would I file this under the 1040ES? Likewise, for CA, there's the SDI (State Disability Insurance),...

Estimated Taxes for 2007 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, How to pay estimated taxes (federal, social security tax, Medicare tax and State tax) for year 2007. I see estimated tax calculation details on IRS site and is it includes only federal tax only or social security and Medicare taxes also. How to pay estimated tax for state. Thanks in...

Estimated Tax using 1040 or 1040NR (does it even matter) [ 1 Answers ]

I am a married Indian Citizen, me and my wife were on F1/F2 from Jan - Sep and converted to H1 starting October 1st. I am filiing an extension so that I can pass SPT. I was wondering if the estimated tax in the tax form needs to be computed using 1040NR or 1040 and does it matter?? As there...

Estimated Tax [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the Estimated Tax. My income did not changed a lot from last year, but now after I completed the filling and printed the forms I noticed that I have four vouchers for estimated tax and one for my owed tax. So I have to pay $1415 the amount I owe (from 1040 line 76) and...

Independent Contractor Estimated Tax Payments [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this forum and is in need of some advice and information. The company I used to work for, has now hired me as a Independent Contractor. I've provided them with a W9 Form so they can pay be as a vendor. However, I'm not sure if I need to pay Estimated Taxes each quarter to...

View more questions Search