Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jeani RTW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2015, 04:01 PM
    Severe acid reflux
    Sinc Christmas evening I have gone to the e.r. twice for my heartburn and nothing helped so I went to the I H S Clinic twice today and the pills I received still isn't helping me! I just now took one more pill of Ranitdine HCL 150mg and how long would you say it would take effect in my system because I am hurting severely!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 28, 2015, 04:06 PM
    Read the directions that came with it, and if no relief go back to the clinic, and tell them it ain't working, and the pain is worse. That's what I would do.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2015, 06:09 PM
    I'm not sure in your case but ranitidine and famotidine work fast for me at low dosage. Did they do an Upper GI on you?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 28, 2015, 06:36 PM
    Also if you don't change your diet, pills often have little effect
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 28, 2015, 09:31 PM
    I suffer from severe heartburn with certain foods. Tums and a glass of milk usually does the trick for me.

I have to agree with Chuck though. If you're not changing your diets, the pills will have very little effect. Heartburn is normally caused by certain foods. So what are you eating?
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2015, 08:00 AM
    Drinking a ton of water and not swallowing the spit that you create works for me. The spit is pure acid and when you swallow it that is the burning going down. Also stand, don't sit. And at bedtime I lay on my side almost on my stomach. Laying on your back is a killer.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 29, 2015, 08:19 AM
    Stop eating!
    Don't lie down!
    Sleep sitting up.
    After 24 hours of warm broth or plain water only, try some oatmeal with milk.

Maybe you have an ulcer or acid erosion of the esophagus. Stop going to ERs too - regular daytime clinics, where you get more thorough attention.

(I've lived on about 6,000 mg of TUMS a day for at least 15 years... try to lower it as much as I can..)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acid reflux for 4 years [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am 25 years old and have had GERD for about 4 years now :( It first started when I was diagnosed with a heart condition and was prescribed Norpace. I took it for 6 months and lost my appetite completely. That is when the burning and stomach bloating began. I had an endoscopey done and show no...

Acid Reflux. [ 5 Answers ]

Ok so I am new to this site but I have a few questions... Ok so it just about health in general because I was just diagnosed with acid reflux and my chest is very uncomfortable. It burns or is tight and I also feel like I have to blow my nose every five minutes. It is constantly running. I have had...

Acid Reflux [ 6 Answers ]

What is a good over the counter medication to help manage my acid reflux. I had hyperemesis with both of my kids and so it made we have real problems with reflux. I get so much pain. Please I'm in need of a good medication.

My acid reflux! [ 1 Answers ]

I get heartburn and feel queasy more often than not ,when I eat. Any one got any good home remedies? I sleep elevated, eat smaller meals(about every 2-3 hours)sleep on my left side etc. I've been to doctors and taken prilosec, prevacid and a slew of other meds. which always give me diarrhea, so I'm...

Acid reflux [ 7 Answers ]

Hey I have since feb. been having acid reflux real bad done went to the doctor 4 times and now having burning sensations in my head what do you all think this could be from? And tingly feeling in legs and left arm.

View more questions Search