Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    levistapp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 02:50 PM
    14.5 Briggs won't start
    The engine ran fine last season and haven't tried to start it since but had to replace flywheel and starter gear to start this year. After replacing the gears and installing a new spark plug and charging the battery the engine spins freely and backfires but doesn't start. I don't know much about working on these engines and it sounds like the timing may be off. I did align the flywheel right with the key and installed that right back and I assumed the thing would start. Can anyone tell what might be the problem and what I can check next? Thanks
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Apr 12, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Where did you get the flywheel? Do the magnetic pick ups align the same as the old one?

Have you put in a new plug, if you take the time to pull it and look at it you might as well replace it.

Don

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs 14.5 OHV won't start [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Briggs 14.5hp riding lawn mower that when you try to start the flywheel won't turn or will make a slow turn and pause then another slow turn and stop. I cleaned the ground cables, replaced the battery, carb, and spark plug. Trying to jump across the solenoid doesn't work either so its not...

Briggs Vanguard will not start [ 14 Answers ]

Briggs Vanguard, 15 hp OHV Model 280777 Type 0112.01 Code 94121154A Simplicity Brood Moor... The oil was checked and gas was checked prior to starting, the mower had been sitting for 4 to 6 weeks due to cold weather. I decided to started it and ran it at normal start speed until It warmed up....

18.5 Briggs Hard To Start. [ 1 Answers ]

A B&s 18.5 Ohv With Avs. Won't Go Past Com. Stroke When Starting. Checked Batt. Anj. Valves. Same Thing Wrong. Can Turn Back By Hand And Start. Don't Know Where To Look Now. Maybe Something In The Avs?

16.5 Briggs in MTD will not start [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 16.5 ovh Briggs in an MTD. The mower started and ran fine the last few mowings. However, now it will not fire. The starter will turn the motor for a few seconds and then it will "bog" down. I can turn the motor by hand past the "hard" part of the engine cycle and the starter will turn the...

Briggs 16.5 won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a B/S 16.5 OHV Twin (Commercial model). Generally speaking it starts as soon as I hit the key. Today when shutting it down it backfired twice (two different occasions) but started normally. When I went to start it to put it in the shed no luck. Doesn't sputter or backfire. Changed the...

View more questions Search