Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Training my labrador
    My lab is really hyper she is fully outside and is a little over weight she get a lot of exercise runs 8 miles every second day and I also walk her a lot! She knows almost every camand but only does them when she feels like it how to I break her of this bad habit?:confused: and I also want to train her to retrieve ducks but I need some training tipsd and if it helps she is 8 months old(born August 11 2006)
    IPONALLU Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94
    my lab is really hyper she is fully outside and is a little over weight she get alot of exercise runs 8 miles every second day and i also walk her alot! she knows almost every camand but only does them when she feels like it how to i break her of this bad habit?:confused: and i also want to train her to retrieve ducks but i need some training tipsd and if it helps she is 8 months old(born August 11 2006)
    Be patient... she's only 8mths, she needs time to mature and grow into her training, but be consitant. Try looking up on the Web for the Dog Whisperer, he is very good, or seek out a local Dog Trainer in your area. There are many good books on Training and understanding your breed og Dog. Try bringing your Dog inside, she might enjoy that and you will also be able to spend more quality time with her while training at the sametime. These Breeds are Social Breeds and like companionship, but set some boundaries at first, maybe a room or area, use a Movable Kennel or Infant Gate, they are cheap and will give you both "sometime out", especially good at bedtime.
    Good Luck, but be very patient, very firm, very consistent and very reassuring to your friend.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 05:05 PM
    It is quite possible to teach your dogs all its commands without learning to be the leader that dogs need. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position The running she is doing may not be good for her developing joints. Overweight makes it even worse, and the fast growth from the overly rich diet puppy provides adds it problems. Cut out the running, feed her less, switch to an adult chow, and take more walks. These need to be controlled walks, she maintains proper heel position and a loose leash. If she forges ahead or pulls, drag her backward about 10 feet. She will quickly get the picture. You set the pace, you choose the route, and when to stop and let her relieve himself. This is about teaching her you are top dog. You can lighten up a little once she accepts you as leader.

Please bring her into the house with you. Dogs are social animals and need to be with their pack. Most of the problems of having a Lab in the house can be solved with a crate. Other dogs may
    Not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog
    Will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be
    Happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its
    Den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving
    Its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them
    Will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic
    Ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for
    Dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with
    Something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

Accidents and damaged possessions are the fault of whoever was watching the puppy. When you are watching it, immediately correct it as soon as it goes for anything except its own toys. In a quiet, but firm voice ''Bad dog, its name drop!''. Gently remove what ever and replace it with one of her toys, or if older, hold eye contact until the puppy drops it.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate.
    Feed it in the crate.

I am no fan of Caesar. Last I looked, there wasn't much on his web site except hype for his books. I thought what I had seen there before was the same old weak stuff I see elsewhere. A good book would be a big help to you. Look over the list in the stickies at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251804

I have no experience training dogs to retrieve. Very few hunters take part in sites like this. I don't feel right about using this site to direct you to another, but for help on that, you might do better at Labrador Retriever Dogs Chat Board - Dogs, Puppies, Photos, Training, Pictures, Rescue Forums - Powered by vBulletin There may be some links in the Lab area at American Kennel Club - akc.org.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Potty Training my 12-week Labrador [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new 12-week old lab puppy who is having some housebreaking issues. At weeks 10 and 11 he was sleeping through the night fine and waking up at about 6 to eat and go the bathroom. Over the past two weeks he gets up at 1am, 3am, and then again at 6am. When we let him out at 1am and 3am, he...

Labrador [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old lab.At present he is not eating as he should be,we give him a cup and a half in the morning and again in the evening.At the moment he's only eating once a day and when he does he doesn't always finish.We're having a pretty hot summer and I was wondering if it may have an impact.

Labrador size [ 1 Answers ]

My male labrador is 10 months old and weighs about 58lbs when his brothers and friends that are his age weigh about 85lbs, but his height is about the same as theirs. He just is not that thick, does this mean my dog is not going to be that much bigger than he is know or do some dogs have later...

Labrador pup [ 3 Answers ]

I have an eight weeks old labrador pup. Can someone tell me what is the right quantity of food an eight week ol pup requires?

Labrador Breeders [ 1 Answers ]

I have a beautiful 4 1/2 year old pure breed male chocolate lab. I am looking for a female pure breed lab in the Jacksonville area (or the surrounding area) that might be interested in breeding with him. Please let me know as soon as possible! Thanks!

View more questions Search