Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rickredman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2015, 02:53 PM
    Chevy s10 extended cab
    1996 chevy s-10 ex-cab , cig lighter w/2 augzillary plugs. When I plug in my Garmin navagational device it will drain the batterie dead in just minutes if I leave it pluged in after I turn the moter off. No matter if I use the cig lighter or the aug.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 26, 2015, 07:32 PM
    One of 2 things can be going on just off the top.

1) Your battery is weak. (check the rating on it and have it tested if its a few years old.)

2) You could have a short that is causing it to run high amps and you will need to test that with a amp meter.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2015, 07:12 AM
    Remove and fully charge the battery. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. I would also check the alternator--regulated battery voltage across the terminals should be 14 to 15 volts, while the engine is idling. Be sure to clean the battery terminals, cable connections, and main ground. Check the cables carefully for hidden breaks or corrosion.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 27, 2015, 08:00 AM
    Checking your battery is a good start, how old is it? Checking the positive cable couldn't hurt either. Then go from there. Routine maintenance stuff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much weight can a 1995 z71 long box extended cab carry [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1995 z71 extended cab long box pickup truck I would like to put a 1700 camper on it. Will it work out?

Extended cab panel? [ 0 Answers ]

Does anybody know what the panel is called for an extended cab pick up truck? The side panel of the actual cab extension, like the door (only its not a door). It's basically in between the cab corners and the rockers.

Chevy S 10 extended cab [ 1 Answers ]

I went to crank up my 1996 chevy extended cab truck it wilk turn over but won't crank up what could be wrong.

95 chevy s10 [ 1 Answers ]

How are you suppose to line up the distributor cap for the timing to be perfect? The distributor cap has been a tooth off every time we try to get the timing right. The engine will start, but the idling isn't right, and extremely bumpy. It's a vortec engine. PLEASE help

OK you 1995 Chevy silverado Extended cab 5.7 liter with 4L60e automatic tranny [ 6 Answers ]

OK here it This is what has been replaced Fuel pump and sending unit,idle air control valve(iav)map sensor,throttle position sensor plug wires ignition module Throttle Body was Cleaned and rebuilt Brand new computer New oxgyen sensor BEw temp gauge sensor and water temp sensor. This truck has...

View more questions Search