Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Dec 26, 2015, 03:46 AM
    Faulty Thermostat?
    We have a 2002 Honda Civic , 1.7L Engine.. Cruising at Highway Speeds the Heater Blows Satisfactory Heat, come to a Stop Light Idling for a couple minutes the Heater starts to Blow Luc Warm Air.. Question? Could that be the Thermostat not working properly??
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2015, 07:30 AM
    Most likely, the problem is with the heater core. Try reverse flushing the heater core, to remove any corrosion, and refilling with a 50/50 mixture of the proper antifreeze and distilled water. If you want, install a genuine Honda thermostat after you drain the system.

Dec 26, 2015, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Most likely, the problem is with the heater core. Try reverse flushing the heater core, to remove any corrosion, and refilling with a 50/50 mixture of the proper antifreeze and distilled water. If you want, install a genuine Honda thermostat after you drain the system.
    As I Described Satisfactory Heat while Cruising , Becoming Lukewarm after a couple minutes @ Idling Speeds.. Was told because the Water Pump has Slowed Down could be a contributing factor ?? Thoughts Appreciated Thanks...
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 26, 2015, 04:05 PM
    A 13 year old vehicle can have many issues to address, but I go with TXGM on this heat issue. It's an easy thing to backflush your own heater core and get you through the winter.

If the water pump were faulty then the car engine would overheat due to lack of coolant circulation.

Dec 26, 2015, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    A 13 year old vehicle can have many issues to address, but I go with TXGM on this heat issue. It's an easy thing to backflush your own heater core and get you through the winter.

If the water pump were faulty then the car engine would overheat due to lack of coolant circulation.
    The Water Pump theory had me thinking we'd have more of an Overheating Issue.. Right Now the timing with Christmas & Boxing Day to purchase a Thermostat & Gasket.. Plus I'm sure we're running out of decent temps to be working outside with this.. Cheers and Thanks for the Comebacks.
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2015, 04:19 PM
    That is not a normal explanation, unless the water pump impeller has been eaten away. I've only seen this a few times, where the cooling system has been really neglected. That's why it's best to change the coolant every two years.

Dec 26, 2015, 04:24 PM
    That is not a normal explanation, unless the water pump impeller has been eaten away. I've only seen this a few times, where the cooling system has been really neglected. That's why it's best to change the coolant every two years.

This is My Son's Car so It's a 2nd hand Description & Part Translation.. lol.. He says if he we're to step up the RPM's just a couple notches while at a Traffic Light (Std.Trans.) he builds up Heat...
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2015, 04:30 PM
    If it were my car, I'd reverse flush the heater core, install an OEM thermostat, and refill with coolant. It's easy to do and shouldn't take long.

Dec 26, 2015, 04:32 PM
    If it were my car, I'd reverse flush the heater core, install an OEM thermostat, and refill with coolant. It's easy to do and shouldn't take long.

Thank You, I Conquer...
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2015, 07:14 PM
    Had a Ford Ranger with the same issue. Back flushed the heater core and all kinds of fine junk came out. Works fine now, plenty of heat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric cooktop thermostat faulty [ 1 Answers ]

My electric hotplate elements only come on at full heat, I can't adjust the temperature? Can this be easily fixed?

Changing faulty Vulcan CX90 programmable thermostat [ 7 Answers ]

The programmable thermostat on our Vulcan CX90 ducted gas heating system has died. A gas plumber has checked out the furnace, which is working fine, but he was unable to replace the programmable thermostat as they are no longer available. Tradelink advise that it can be replaced by a Honeywell...

My Sanyo refregerator runs intermittantly. Does this indicate a faulty thermostat? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Sanyo model SR1286 dorm size refrigerator. It shut down and defrosted, then started up again after several days. It will run for a short while, and then shuts down again. Is the thermostat likely the problem, or are there other areas that would produce this result?

Possible faulty thermostat? [ 0 Answers ]

I currently live in NW Florida, in an open plan 1 story house with a vaulted ceiling. My thermostat is located in the middle of the large living room/kitchen area, which takes up the majority of the space under the vaulted ceiling. The bedrooms all have standard 8' ceilings and sit at the corners...

Faulty fan when thermostat calls for "fan on" [ 1 Answers ]

I was asked recently to get furnace going for a friend, it's a 7900 series Coleman in a 1980 trailer house,, I said "Replace it" but money is the issue so I would like to ask the community some questions about this unit or a resource which could help me troubleshoot this things woes. Using the...

View more questions Search