Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    5him Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2015, 05:39 AM
    Why hcl can't give nascent chlorine while reacting with copper ?
    We know when H2SO4 REACTS WITH Cu then it gives a nascent atom of oxygen which oxidizes Cu and makes CuO.BUT WHEN HCL REACTS WITH Cu then why it can't give nascent chlorine, 2[CL] WHICH WOULD OXIDIZE THE Cu AND MAKE CuO.

SO WHY H2S04 CAN DO BUT HCL CAN'T DO THAT ?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 24, 2015, 07:12 AM
    Hint: Do the math.

Hint: 1 + 1 = 2

Why can it never equal 3?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2015, 07:30 AM
    This is because copper is below hydrogen in the reactivity series whereas magnesium is above hydrogen, causing a reaction

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bi2Ir2O7 + HCl will give what?And at what temperature will the reaction happen? [ 1 Answers ]

And at what temperature will the reaction happen? Also, at what temperature will the reaction Bi2O3+HCl -> BiCl3 + H2O take place? Thank you.

Does oxidation in the copper line give brown water? [ 21 Answers ]

Hi, I remodeled my bathroom and brown water is coming out of the new shower each morning for about 10 seconds. My contractor said it's just the new copper pipes oxidizing and it'll go away but it has been 3 months and there is no sign the brown water is going away. Can this be correct?

2HgS 4 HNO3 4 HCl will give ? [ 0 Answers ]

2HgS 4 HNO3 4 HCl will give ?

Not sure if I'm over reacting [ 3 Answers ]

So my girlfriend and I had a ski trip planned for about 1 and a half months. 1 week before the trip we got in a silly argument over nothing and she got pissed and said she wanted to see her sister 6 hours away instead. Now I was a little POed at first as I had made plans but I wanted to avoid...

Reacting to this [ 6 Answers ]

I am wondering if you can help me with something I have been struggling to figure out for a few weeks now. I have been dating a girl for awhile now and we both afmit we Love each other very much, I have 2 children from a previous marriage and we waited until we where sure about our relationship...

View more questions Search