Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Truthfully Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 02:04 PM
    2 shoplifting charges 10 yrs ago, will I get denied
    Almost 10 years ago, as a single mother of my baby boy, I shoplifted some things for him with a friend. I got caught and had to go to court and pay fines. Shortly thereafter(Oct. 1997), I did it once more, had to go to court again, pay fines and go to a 8 hr course at the local jail. I never shoplifted again. In 2001, I was working for a company that did a background check and I was dismissed because of the charges. I went to get them expunged, but they said I had 1 more year, so needless to say, that 1 year went and almost 5 more years and I never went through the proceedings againt to expunge my record. Well, I have just been accepted into a Nuclear Medicine program at school and a background check is required. The clinical sites get to view the findings and decide whether they will allow me to do my clinical there. If one site denies me, I am out of the nuclear medicine program. I am so nervous because I was 19 or 20 then. I am 29, married, with a FT job. I don't want to get kicked out of my program.

Can someone tell me how far the background checks go back?
    What is the likelihood that my charges are bad enough to get denied?
    Do I have a chance?

Thanks to anyone who can help. I am so scared and nervous because I have worked so hard.
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

Apr 12, 2007, 09:09 PM
    It is really scary to be going through this mess. I don't think there is a time limit on background checks... it will probably show up. The good thing is that it will also show that it was 10 yr ago and you have since completed x number of college credit hours and had no trouble since then. I don't know if any of the company's will be able to overlook this... maybe they have policies on hiring people with a record, etc. If your truly worried about it you should talk to your advisor (college). Let them know the delima ahead of time and they may be able to circumvent any problems. They often have an in with varying agencies. Or they can advise how to overcome potential obstacles. I know this sounds bad... but there is hope. In the meantime, I would start the process of getting this expunged so when you are being hired for real it won't show up. Truly, Cathy

Apr 13, 2007, 12:25 PM
    The background check will show my college credits? Wow, I never knew that. Does it show jobs that I've been employed at? I currently work for a hospital right now. I've been working there for almost 3 years now, but with the position I am in, I didn't need to have one done. I just have come so far and I don't want to lose it all.
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

Apr 13, 2007, 01:20 PM
    I'm sorry... I think you might have misunderstood my response. What I meant is that it's probable that the company doing a background check will investigate your employment and if your being sent by the school could have a copy of your transcript. A background check involves several things including a criminal records check, employment history, often credit check, etc. Also, working at the hospital you might be able to arrange a reference from them... You have turned your life around and I think that should be your primary focus. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. Cathy
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Can't you go back and try and get the charges expunged again? If you can get this done quickly you wouldn't have to worry about all this.

Apr 13, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Thanks for clarifying that. I am trying to focus on the positive. I do have a meeting with an advisor the discuss the program and register for the core courses. I will try to ask him, but I am kind of embarrassed to bring it up.

" Can't you go back and try and get the charges expunged again? If you can get this done quickly you wouldnt have to worry about all this."
    ----I can try to get the charges expunged. I don't know if it can be done quickly. The last time I tried it took a couple of months. I don't know if it could be speeded up or not. If I start the process, it may not be done it time. I just remembering it taking a long time to get everything together and sending things out here and there, and then waiting. I will do what I can. I might try calling a lawyer to see what they say.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capital one suing; I denied the charges. What now? [ 5 Answers ]

Capital one sent me a subpeonea in March 2007 to appear in court over a $2000 bill. This credit card was a secured card, opened in the year 2000 (I think) and the limit was $300. I don't recall much about it but I know that I had to put down money to open a secured card. I don't remember how...

Eight yr,s ago can I still be charged with shoplifting [ 3 Answers ]

Eight years ago I shoplifted from a store.. could I still be charged if it was caught on camera. This is canada. It has bothered me for years. I need to know if this is possiable and what I can do about it. I was not caught but I could be on camera. Please help.. thankyou:

Shoplifting 6 years ago and it's still nagging me! [ 10 Answers ]

Hey! I was caught shoplifting when I was 16 years old, and now I am 21 and will be graduating from college next year. When I was caught I had a $25 item. I was never arrested, but the security people made me sign something confessing to the crime. I ended up paying around $250 to department...

Shoplifting charges [ 2 Answers ]

Hello This is my story : Yesterday evening I went to a supermarket and I bought a sandwich, a soda, a carspray, a loaf of bread and a cheesecake. I went to my car and clipped a coupon from the cheesecake. That coupon was good for 2 $ and the discounted price of the cake was 1.99 so...

Betrayal 25 yrs ago [ 21 Answers ]

I have always been very insecure and jealous. Recently my husband of 40 yrs told me that he went to a nude bar 25 yrs ago and I cannot stop thinking about it. I was 1000 miles away while he was in Tx staying with an uncle trying to find work. We were losing our home due to his being laid off and...

View more questions Search