Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fernando561 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2015, 07:04 PM
    Issue with Air Handler Motor, Can't Fins Similar Issue Online
    I've got an AC unit in Florida that is only 7 years old. Recently, the air handler coils froze. Called AC tech who replaced the capacitor and all was good. 3 weeks later, they froze again. The motor stopped running on the air handler while the compressor was still running. Tech came out and all he did to test was unplug the cut off switch, place it back and the motor starts running again fixes the issue. About a week later (today), the same thing happened, motor in air handler stops running so coils start to freeze, I unplugged-replugged and everything is good.
    Any idea what could be happening? All systems seem to be in line. I've got a wi-fi honeywell thermostat (the cheapest one without any crazy features) and I'm inclined to start thinking that could be the issue? Any way to test/diagnose that besides waiting for this to maybe happen again?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 20, 2015, 07:46 PM
    Its not your stat causing the issue. So when you say motor are you meaning the blower fan?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 21, 2015, 03:31 AM
    Tech came out and all he did to test was unplug the cut off switch, place it back and the motor starts running again fixes the issue
    About a week later (today), the same thing happened, motor in air handler stops running so coils start to freeze, I unplugged-replugged and everything is good.
    Could you expound on those statements? What cut off switch are you referring to?

I've got a wi-fi honeywell thermostat (the cheapest one without any crazy features) and I'm inclined to start thinking that could be the issue?
    Right now I would tend to disagree.

Assuming that by "cut off switch" you are referring to the safety switch that cuts off power when you remove a cover, I would suspect a faulty switch or a faulty connection to the switch.

Next time a failure occurs, remove the cover and press the switch with out touching anything else. If blower motor starts, that would confirm my suspicion and it is probably a defective switch.

Purchase a voltage sensor. If blower motor does not restart, test for voltage both going to the switch, and leaving switch to motor. Try not to move any wires around. If you have voltage to the switch but not leaving the switch, begin moving wires close to the switch around. If voltage returns you probably have faulty connection to switch.

Let us know what you find.
    fernando561 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2015, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Its not your stat causing the issue. So when you say motor are you meaning the blower fan?
    Yes, I apologize for terminology. I do mean the blower fan.

Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Could you expound on those statements? What cut off switch are you referring to?

Right now I would tend to disagree.

Assuming that by "cut off switch" you are referring to the safety switch that cuts off power when you remove a cover, I would suspect a faulty switch or a faulty connection to the switch.

Next time a failure occurs, remove the cover and press the switch with out touching anything else. If blower motor starts, that would confirm my suspicion and it is probably a defective switch.

Purchase a voltage sensor. If blower motor does not restart, test for voltage both going to the switch, and leaving switch to motor. Try not to move any wires around. If you have voltage to the switch but not leaving the switch, begin moving wires close to the switch around. If voltage returns you probably have faulty connection to switch.

Let us know what you find.
    Very interesting. Thank you so much for an answer. Yes this is the safety switch that cuts off power when you remove it to then remove the cover. I'll have to wait to see if this occurs again then. It seems odd just because when the fan shuts off there are still gurgling noises occurring and just the fan has not turned on.
    Is there a way to test this prior to waiting for it to occur again? I know when the tech was here he tested the voltage of the fan and everything checked out well it was not over-working. So the switch may really be it. I just would like to test it before it happens when maybe I'm not home or something and caused even more trouble. Thanks again!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 21, 2015, 06:55 AM
    fan shuts off there are still gurgling noises occurring
    That sounds like refrigerant equalizing. Is outside unit running when cover is removed?

Only other way to test would be to temporarily wire around switch and see if fan fails again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a similar issue to the article I just read. It involves my ex girlfriend. [ 15 Answers ]

I am convinced, because I have been without my ex for 10 plus years, that I am living the wrong life and my question is what to do now..

New Fan Motor - WIRING issue - not the same as old motor - SIBERIANAIR - are you here? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old Trane XE 1000 and 2 days ago the fan simply stopped spinning. It has been determined that it is the fan motor. I went and bought a new one but this motor comes with 4 wires (Black, White, Brown and Brown with White stripe). The old motor came with three wires which were Purple,...

Smiliar issue. Similar answers? [ 6 Answers ]

History. Loaned 1500 to a friend's friend for bail. Stupidly checked box for them to use money for court expenses if need be. Court day came and I wasn't able to make it and my money was used for the tickets etc... Now I want my money back and the person refuses to pay me. Question is do I serve...

View more questions Search