Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wartotis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2015, 10:29 AM
    Finicky garage door opener
    I have a Genie Excelertor garage door opener that, when it gets cold, all the power goes out on it, i.e.. The wall pad does not operate and the Safe t beam lights go out. Once it warms up above 40 - 45 degrees, the power comes back on and the opener operates but is a labored state with the light on the unit flickering as the door rises. Any suggestions?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2015, 10:34 AM
    Symptoms of this nature can be sometimes traced back to a crack in a solder joint on the control board. Openers vibrate, the solder cracks and when it gets cold, the crack gets bigger and no contact. When it heats back up, the crack closes and contact restored. This was fairly common with older cars when PC boards were starting to be used. Happened a lot in MN, AK etc.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2015, 01:11 PM
    The main cause of this problem is that the government has required the use of lead-free solder. Lead-free solder does not melt as easily as the regular solder and bad solder joints are common. My solution has been to remove the circuit board and examine it carefully for bad solder joints-they usually look dull. Then heat a small toaster oven to 450°F, cover any plastic parts with aluminum foil, and put in the oven for 9 minutes, then remove and allow to cool slowly. I use aluminum foil to raise it up from the pan I place it on. Look on YouTube and you will see how it's done. I have repaired my HP laser printer and many laptop circuit boards this way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Radio controlled garage light turns on and off with garage door opener? [ 0 Answers ]

HP I have a radio controlled entrance light on a detached garage which works well. However I have now discovered that the entrance light also goes on when the garage door opener is actuated. Since I usually use the wall switch to close the garage door it leaves the entrance light on at...

New Sears garage door opener does not completely raise the door. [ 0 Answers ]

I have a sears garage door opener 1/2 hp that I just installed. It raises the door up about 6 inches, then reverses and closes with enough force to pin the sled against the front of the door and does not stop until the chain is extremely tight on one side and droopy on the other side. Any...

Craftsman Garage Door Opener light not working after new door installed [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman Model 139.18054 Garage Door Opener and the light has been working since it was (professionally) installed 7 or so years ago and up to last Monday when I had a new garage door installed. The installer said they did not do any thing to the unit except attach new safety sensors and...

Garage door opener making loud noise and door won't go up [ 1 Answers ]

When I pushed the button to open my mom's garage door, the door went up about an inch and made a loud banging noise like a machine gun. We got the door to open by pushing on the button and pushing up on the door. The noise is coming from the part in the middle of the garage door that goes down...

How do I sync the keyless pad garage door opener to the main garage door opener? [ 3 Answers ]

I mistakenly gave someone my garage door opener that didn't return it. I had a male friend come over and "change the code" including my car opener and gave me a universial which he also programmed. I came to realize my code for my keyless pad outside doesn't work (since he changed the code... )....

View more questions Search